Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear leaf front bolt issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default rear leaf front bolt issues

OK, I have read and read on here about the problem with the front rear leaf bolt coming out. I plan on doing my lift this Thursday and Friday si I have been soaking the living **** outta all the exposed bolts for a week. Now the front rear bolts I decided to drill a 1/4 inch hole in the "pocket" where the nut is. When I did a ton of rust dust came out and did not stop as I kept the drill running in and out!! After 5 minutes of running it the dust finally cleared and I began spraying into the hole about a 1/2 can on each side of PB. Has anybody tried this before>?? I would imagine its only going to help the situation. I will keep you posted how the install goes.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

Here is some help.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/em...-ideas-125136/

Getting the nut lubed will help a bit but the major headache comes from the bushing sleeve frozen to the bolt.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by jbsjunk
Here is some help.

Getting the nut lubed will help a bit but the major headache comes from the bushing sleeve frozen to the bolt.
this^^^^^^^ is the nightmare!!!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:30 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Here is some help.

Just went through this issue. Without having a torch, this is your best bet:

Unscrew that bolt until you see it is no longer threaded into the nut. By the time its out that far, the shackle will have bent outward because the metal sleeve is pushing on the shackle as you're backing the bolt out. It will look similar to this. The left side of the picture you can see my socket on the bolt ( black socket)

Name:  IMG_29131.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  86.3 KB

Once its out about 3/4", cut the head of the bolt off as close to the outer edge of the shackle as possible with a hack saw. Once you cut the head off, use a big nail punch and pound the bolt back into the leaf, but don't go too far because you dont want to pound the bolt back into the threaded nut. Once you do that, pound on the leaf spring with a heavy hammer till it falls free.

Also, make sure you have impact sockets and a breaker bar with about a 3 foot pipe extension. You'll need it to POP those bolts loose. Good luck, its a pain in the ***.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:36 PM

Also, for the record if you have to cut these bolts, don't fret it. The bolts used on the rear mounts are the same size, so use the rear bolt on the front when you put it back together. For the rear, head to ace hardware and buy 2 bolts of this size: 9/16" x 4" grade 8. Get 4 washers and 2 nuts, and use that combo to put the rear back together. Since there is no nipple flange needed on the rear, a different bolt will be fine, as long as you can put a nut on it.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:00 PM

Ahh got ya. I always thought it was just a matter of getting the bolt out of the nut. OK, I will be prepared for this then with a arsenal of air tools, torch and alittle luck I hope. thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:02 PM

Here is some help.

I just did these bolts about a week ago. What a pain. When the bolt starts turning out, tighten it back up and re-loosen. A pipe comes in handy with these bolts for sure. Even heating them with a torch till there cherry red I needed the pipe, ended up cutting the head off and buying new bolts. The sleeves were a pain to get un-done. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:04 PM

I destroyed three craftsman wrenches getting mine out. Glad there is a warrenty.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Metalgearmurder
I destroyed three craftsman wrenches getting mine out. Glad there is a warrenty.
Yeah, I busted two before I went to Harbor Freight and picked up a cheap impact socket. Made all the difference.