Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear driveshaft noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Straight 6
Default Rear driveshaft noise?

Alright, so trying to track down this mystery noise on my XJ. It was slightly audible with my 3" lift but now at 6.5" is extremely apparent. Took it to my axle shop because I thought it was a super blown out rear carrier bearing. They have it up on the rack and say they really think that its coming from the rear output on the transfer case. They also said that it only hanging on still by a good inch of spline. It it the stock driveshaft but my diff is angled up to compensate. The noise it makes is when you first hit the gas you get this clunk/growling noise. The noise also happens while slowing down and gets louder when you put it in 4wd. My question is, before I have an SYE put in, is their anyone that has had a similar experience with this happening? I really don't want to have an SYE put in (I know it should be) But have to pay to have that done and then on top of it have my rear fully rebuilt. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Wait. So you were at 3 inches, needed an sye. Didn't save for an sye but instead spent money to go even higher, need an sye even more now, and still don't want to do it?
Old 02-06-2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Wait. So you were at 3 inches, needed an sye. Didn't save for an sye but instead spent money to go even higher, need an sye even more now, and still don't want to do it?
I typed a long paragraph and then deleted it by accident. Basically, didn't use the XJ enough after doing the lift/lifts before putting it away for a few months and didn't get to doing an sye. I know it needs one and do want to do the sye. What i don't want is to do the sye right at this moment and have the noise to still be there and then have to pay to have the rear end rebuilt. I know it needs an SYE but I'd rather do blown pinion bearings first if thats the root cause
Old 02-06-2017, 01:07 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by Spydie
Alright, so trying to track down this mystery noise on my XJ. It was slightly audible with my 3" lift but now at 6.5" is extremely apparent. Took it to my axle shop because I thought it was a super blown out rear carrier bearing. They have it up on the rack and say they really think that its coming from the rear output on the transfer case. They also said that it only hanging on still by a good inch of spline. It it the stock driveshaft but my diff is angled up to compensate. The noise it makes is when you first hit the gas you get this clunk/growling noise. The noise also happens while slowing down and gets louder when you put it in 4wd. My question is, before I have an SYE put in, is their anyone that has had a similar experience with this happening? I really don't want to have an SYE put in (I know it should be) But have to pay to have that done and then on top of it have my rear fully rebuilt. Any advice is appreciated.

At 6.5 you need a SYE to do it right... Come on you know what to do.

Last edited by Dumajones; 02-06-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

What i don't want is to do the sye right at this moment and have the noise to still be there and then have to pay to have the rear end rebuilt. I know it needs an SYE but I'd rather do blown pinion bearings first if thats the root cause
No, you want to do the SYE first. Even IF you need to repair damage on the rear end, you don't want to do that first because if you drive it after the repair but before the SYE at all, there's a good chance you'll damage it AGAIN.

Do the SYE because you need to no matter what. Then, IF there is damage to the rear end, repair that.

The ROOT cause is a 6" lift and no SYE.

P.S. If you don't have an SYE and angled your pinion UP, you only made the driveline angles worse. Without an SYE, the output/pinion angles should the the same/parallel. You only point the pinion up at the transfer case if you have a SYE and double cardan driveshaft.

Honestly, here is the list of things you need to be prepared to do:
  • Install an SYE and new driveshaft.
  • Replace your motor and transmission mounts if they are original or very old because not only for general maintenance's sake but also to ensure the powertrain is angled correctly.
  • Repair any damage that may have been done to the rear differential/pinion.
  • Repair any damage that may have been done to the transfercase output seal/bearing.

Last edited by mschi772; 02-06-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:39 AM

Alright, went with process of elimination and ordered an advanced adapters sye kit with new front and rear driveshafts from Adam's driveshaft. Hoping this fixes most of it and will be taking it from there
Old 02-07-2017, 09:50 AM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Alright, went with process of elimination and ordered an advanced adapters sye kit with new front and rear driveshafts from Adam's driveshaft. Hoping this fixes most of it and will be taking it from there
Good Job... see,, you knew what to do..lol

You are going to love those D-shafts from Adams.. Thats what I have front and rear... I have a review on them in my sig.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dumajones
Good Job... see,, you knew what to do..lol

You are going to love those D-shafts from Adams.. Thats what I have front and rear... I have a review on them in my sig.
I'll check it out. They look BEEFY. And I knew that it needed to be done, I just hoped i could skate by until summer when I'm not freezing to the ground trying to get the T-case out lol
Old 02-08-2017, 11:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good choice going with Adams.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It's always a good idea knowing what should be done even before you ask, makes it easier to accept, good job