Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-doing lift: Shackles

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Re-doing lift: Shackles

Hi guys,
i am re doing the lift the previous owner did and I want to re do everything . Loooing to stay at 3 inches, running 31 inch tires with Dana 30 and 8.25 in the rear. Am I ok to run new stock shackles? Or should I be looking at aftermarket relocation brackets?
Old 07-09-2018, 09:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by PoorMansWrangler

Am I ok to run new stock shackles?
Probably.

should I be looking at aftermarket relocation brackets?
Maybe.

Your question is much too vague to get an actual answer because we don't know your situation. You say you want to "re-do everything." That could mean many things, such as relocation brackets or not.

What springs are you looking at? What are your goals for this vehicle? How tight is your budget?
Old 07-09-2018, 10:57 AM

Hi, sorry for not including more details. Currently sits at 3 inches up front, rear and is a little lower due to saggy leafs. Previous owner threw a variety of suspension parts onto it. The jeep has 3 inch spacers up front, old man emu leafs in the back with skyjacker shocks, with stock shackles I believe. I will be replacing everything with zone components (front springs and leafs) also planning on doing new stainless steel front and rear brakes, and jks quick disconnects, and fox shocks. This is not a daily driver, mainly a weekend hunting rig, with some occasional street use.

Last edited by PoorMansWrangler; 07-09-2018 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-09-2018, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L

Hi, sorry for not including more details. Currently sits at 3 inches up front, rear and is a little lower due to saggy leafs. Previous owner threw a variety of suspension parts onto it. The jeep has 3 inch spacers up front, old man emu leafs in the back with skyjacker shocks, with stock shackles I believe. I will be replacing everything with zone components (front springs and leafs) also planning on doing new stainless steel front and rear brakes, and jks quick disconnects, and fox shocks. This is not a daily driver, mainly a weekend hunting rig, with some occasional street use.
I'd say try some stock shackles. They should work fine for what you'll be using the Jeep for and maintain a good shackle angle.

How many leafs are in your Old Man Emu leaf pack? OME springs are considered to be some of the best. However, they sell them a bit differently. IIRC, OME sells 2.5" leafs with an option to add another leaf in the pack which pushes it to ~3.5". I'm wondering if your leafs aren't sagging, they're just the lower lift springs.

If possible, install the new springs with your current shackles so you can see what the angle will look like before ordering new stockers.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:46 PM

Looks like my leafs have 5 I’ll be adding a rear tire carrier in the future, so I may look at the 3.5 leafs