Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE 4.5 Leaf Lift Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 03:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default RE 4.5 Leaf Lift Question

Hello All,

I'm upgrading my lift on my 92 2WD 5spd PreRunner Project. I'm finally taking out the old RC 3" AAL lift (She's starting to sag in the rear). I want a better ride, so I'm going with RE 4.5 Springs and Leafs. Right now my Rig sits at about 4 to 4.5 in lift. I also have RC 1.5" Lift Spacers in the front & RC 1.5/2" lift Shackles in the rear. Should I go back to the stock shackles or would it be best to get some RE shackles that come with the RE complete kit?? I don't want to go higher than 5" of lift. OR, should I go back to 4 Wheel Parts and swap my new RE 4.5" leafs for 3.5" and reuse my RC 1.5/2" lift shackles?? Will that ride better on and off road?? help!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by LaredoBucket
Hello All,

I'm upgrading my lift on my 92 2WD 5spd PreRunner Project. I'm finally taking out the old RC 3" AAL lift (She's starting to sag in the rear). I want a better ride, so I'm going with RE 4.5 Springs and Leafs. Right now my Rig sits at about 4 to 4.5 in lift. I also have RC 1.5" Lift Spacers in the front & RC 1.5/2" lift Shackles in the rear. Should I go back to the stock shackles or would it be best to get some RE shackles that come with the RE complete kit?? I don't want to go higher than 5" of lift. OR, should I go back to 4 Wheel Parts and swap my new RE 4.5" leafs for 3.5" and reuse my RC 1.5/2" lift shackles?? Will that ride better on and off road?? help!
2 things.

1. The 3.5" leaves with the longer shackle will ride nicer than the 4.5".

2. If you're serious about it being a "prerunner" then you shouldn't buy RE packs anyway. You should be looking at companies like deaver or national. Possibly even the Rusty's jeepspeed springs. RE isn't bad, just not for prerunning. What shocks do you have? That will make a HUGE difference
Old 08-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the reply. I know my XJ wouldn't be up to par with a REAL Jeepspeed rig. This is more of the weekend Warrior type deal, where I can drive it on and off road. I just want it to handle better than it does (tired of the AAL). I know and read about Deaver and Rusty's. In fact, I almost bought some Rusty's leafs. At the moment I'm running Bilstein 5100's.

Last edited by LaredoBucket; 08-01-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

I'm running the re 4.5"s with 2" shackles, I'm pretty happy with the ride.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by crdude
I'm running the re 4.5"s with 2" shackles, I'm pretty happy with the ride.
how high are you sitting at??
Old 08-26-2014, 02:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Well... 4.5+2 then add .5-1" for the taller perch height on the d44..

So 7-7.5" lift in the rear.
This is how it looks on 33"s.
Name:  136B1687-4EC3-4F3D-AD75-393F42973883_zpsfcpu8oux.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  171.3 KB
Old 08-26-2014, 05:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

3.5" leafs and RE Boomerang Shackles FTW!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:01 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

^^ I second that.
More arch to the leaf springs = more harsh ride.
Stock shackles will limit a lift spring. You are much better off using the lift and more importantly the length of an aftermarket shackle and keeping the spring arch to a minimum.
I have 3.5" leaf packs and adjustable boomerang shackles on the lowest setting. Netted 5" of lift.
Attached Thumbnails RE 4.5 Leaf Lift Question-dsc00705.jpg   RE 4.5 Leaf Lift Question-dsc03199.jpg  

Last edited by SteveMongr; 08-26-2014 at 06:11 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 08-27-2014, 01:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
^^ I second that.
More arch to the leaf springs = more harsh ride.
Stock shackles will limit a lift spring. You are much better off using the lift and more importantly the length of an aftermarket shackle and keeping the spring arch to a minimum.
I have 3.5" leaf packs and adjustable boomerang shackles on the lowest setting. Netted 5" of lift.
Ok, Looks like I got my answer. I will be trading in my 4.5" RE springs for 3.5" RE at 4WheelParts and use my RC Lift Shackles. Plus my bushings are new. Will I need longer Brake Lines or New U-Bolts for the New RE Springs?? I still have my stock lines on, but I also don't do any rock crawling. Only play in the dirt, woopdie-doos and the occasional launch/jumps. hahaha

Last edited by LaredoBucket; 08-27-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Beach Bum

Originally Posted by LaredoBucket
Ok, Looks like I got my answer. I will be trading in my 4.5" RE springs for 3.5" RE at 4WheelParts and use my RC Lift Shackles. Plus my bushings are new. Will I need longer Brake Lines or New U-Bolts for the New RE Springs?? I still have my stock lines on, but I also don't do any rock crawling. Only play in the dirt, woopdie-doos and the occasional launch/jumps. hahaha
As a rule, u-bolts are replaced with new any time they come off. They stretch when tightened. If the u-bolts are stock than they will not fit over the RE leaf springs (too short).

New brake line is a must! Even at 3.5" lift the line becomes tight without even flexing the axle. Your jeep is currently lifted 3" right? Crawl under and have a look at the rear soft brake line... Scary huh?

At 4.5" lift the e-brake cables will also be too short.
Whoops and jumps cycle the suspension rapidly. You need to raise the jeep and let axles droop, inspect for anything that is limiting the axles.

Same with up-travel. Extended bumpstops are a must for the whoops/jumps. I run progressive bumps, they absorb energy rather than just stopping the axle as most stops do. Up front I run 'Prothane coil spring inserts' these are great for whoops and going fast offroad.
I run camel-humps on the beach, they are whoops but long and drawn out. Every one can be a jump (picture).

I notice you have a drop pitman arm. Did your jeep get bump-steer after installing it?

Second picture shows a rear soft line about to break (file picture).
Attached Thumbnails RE 4.5 Leaf Lift Question-dsc03142.jpg   RE 4.5 Leaf Lift Question-brakeline.jpg   RE 4.5 Leaf Lift Question-dsc03107.jpg  
Old 08-27-2014, 04:39 PM
Seasoned Member

As a rule, u-bolts are replaced with new any time they come off. They stretch when tightened. If the u-bolts are stock than they will not fit over the RE leaf springs (too short).

New brake line is a must! Even at 3.5" lift the line becomes tight without even flexing the axle. Your jeep is currently lifted 3" right? Crawl under and have a look at the rear soft brake line... Scary huh?

At 4.5" lift the e-brake cables will also be too short.
Whoops and jumps cycle the suspension rapidly. You need to raise the jeep and let axles droop, inspect for anything that is limiting the axles.

Same with up-travel. Extended bumpstops are a must for the whoops/jumps. I run progressive bumps, they absorb energy rather than just stopping the axle as most stops do. Up front I run 'Prothane coil spring inserts' these are great for whoops and going fast offroad.
I run camel-humps on the beach, they are whoops but long and drawn out. Every one can be a jump (picture).

I notice you have a drop pitman arm. Did your jeep get bump-steer after installing it?

Second picture shows a rear soft line about to break (file picture).
My jeep has a 3" RC Coil & AAL lift. I recently went with 1.5 spacer in front and 1.5" / 2" shackle in rear. Drop pitman arm is fine, no bump stear. It sits about 4"/4.5" right now.

It didn't look like the rear brake line is too bad when I went higher, but I will triple double check it. Although it may be a good idea to replace all lines since they are about 20+ years old...

As for UBolts, I'm running the ones that came with my 3" RC lift. (about 5 years) Would it still be a good idea to get new ones?

I will def need all new bump stops!

-Steve Mungarro
Old 08-28-2014, 12:55 PM
Seasoned Member

As a rule, u-bolts are replaced with new any time they come off. They stretch when tightened. If the u-bolts are stock than they will not fit over the RE leaf springs (too short)
Stock ubolts worked with my RE 4.5's.
I only ran the stock ubolts temporarily, they did have to be replaced when I swapped to a 44.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Beach Bum

Originally Posted by crdude
Stock ubolts worked with my RE 4.5's.
I only ran the stock ubolts temporarily, they did have to be replaced when I swapped to a 44.
Thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind. I just figured they would be short because my BDS 7 leaf with shims, had no chance of using stock u-bolts.
Attached Thumbnails RE 4.5 Leaf Lift Question-dsc03688.jpg  
Old 08-28-2014, 02:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994

The u-bolts are 1/2". IIRC, they get torqued to about 50 ft/lbs. I don't think tightening is going to cause a lot of stretching.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Beach Bum

Originally Posted by sreeb
The u-bolts are 1/2". IIRC, they get torqued to about 50 ft/lbs. I don't think tightening is going to cause a lot of stretching.
It's the threads that stretch and prevent proper re-torque, not the bolt shaft. People reuse them, but the general rule is not to.

Quick Reply: RE 4.5 Leaf Lift Question