Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE 3.5 superflex vs. Rustys 3" advanced

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 01:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default RE 3.5 superflex vs. Rustys 3" advanced

I would like to get thoughts on the 2 kits... I have no experience with either... Rustys seems more complete other than discos... I appreciate yalls' help!!
Old 02-17-2015, 02:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by lukc22
I would like to get thoughts on the 2 kits... I have no experience with either... Rustys seems more complete other than discos... I appreciate yalls' help!!
I just swapped my old rough country springs out for all Rubicon Express. They're amazing, less body roll, and takes bumps well. I got 4.5" in the front and 5" in the back with there 3.5'' springs. You should honestly not order a kit, but build your own with the products you want from each company
Old 02-17-2015, 02:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

http://www.metalcloak.com/XJ-Jeep-Ch...Kits-s/282.htm

I highly recommend this as an option as well. Even my wife commented on how comfortable it is vs the stock suspension I had on my XJ.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aroundincircles
http://www.metalcloak.com/XJ-Jeep-Ch...Kits-s/282.htm

I highly recommend this as an option as well. Even my wife commented on how comfortable it is vs the stock suspension I had on my XJ.
Im almost positive they use OME Leafs and Shocks, I did want to try out there progressive coils though. But I dont trust aluminum control arms
Old 02-17-2015, 03:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Wouldn't spend over $1000 for a 3.5" lift kit including everything. But that's just me. Both RE and RO are good, can't go wrong with either.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by PurpleToxin505
Im almost positive they use OME Leafs and Shocks, I did want to try out there progressive coils though. But I dont trust aluminum control arms
yes, they are OME.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by PurpleToxin505
I just swapped my old rough country springs out for all Rubicon Express. They're amazing, less body roll, and takes bumps well. I got 4.5" in the front and 5" in the back with there 3.5'' springs. You should honestly not order a kit, but build your own with the products you want from each company
I was thinking about doing that... I have no prior experience to know what I want from each company... I know the parts that I need for my goals, but I dont know which companies are better at what parts... Rustys comes with upper control arms, longer front brake lines, and adjustable track bar that RE doesnt... Just looks likes a more complete kit to me, so I am leaning on advice and suggestions here to determine how to go...

Thank you
Old 02-17-2015, 06:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

If money is tight, one thing to note about the two kits you posted - you can get that RE kit shipped free and pay the price listed. Rusty's is going to run you another ~$130 for shipping on top of the listed price.

With that said though, depending somewhat on what year your XJ is, the RE kit may put you high enough to need an SYE, so that would be an additional expense. And Rusty's uses springs made in the USA, if that is important to you. I am not sure where RE's springs are made anymore since they were bought by TA, but I would expect Mexico or another South American country (where a lot of Transamerica's stuff comes from).
Old 02-17-2015, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a rustys 4.5 advanced kit and love it.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by gpXJ
If money is tight, one thing to note about the two kits you posted - you can get that RE kit shipped free and pay the price listed. Rusty's is going to run you another ~$130 for shipping on top of the listed price.

With that said though, depending somewhat on what year your XJ is, the RE kit may put you high enough to need an SYE, so that would be an additional expense. And Rusty's uses springs made in the USA, if that is important to you. I am not sure where RE's springs are made anymore since they were bought by TA, but I would expect Mexico or another South American country (where a lot of Transamerica's stuff comes from).
Good info! I really dont want to do the sye for now... The RE kit is free shipping, but the Rustys kit comes with trackbar and and both extended brake lines... my XJ is a 94...
Old 02-17-2015, 09:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This....
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...Shocks-RE6025M

And this....
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...-3-LIFT-RE1600

Done.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the Rustys lift and his springs ride very well better than most and they are American made few if any of the others are. His leafs have been on now for over 3 yrs. and still zero sag. They came with my original 3" lift and now have 1 1/2" Boomerang Shackles and new 4 1/2" coils on my XJ.

Everything else on my lift is his also but HD items not in kits pieced out. Have never had any issues with his products in 3 yrs now.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

X2

I have the Rusty's 3.5" leafs and like them, but if I had it to do over, I would have bought the RE from Frank.
Rusty's shipping costs are really high for anything like springs.
Frank shipped me an 80lb bumper for $20...
Old 02-18-2015, 08:25 PM

I went with the 3" Rusty's lift with an Adjustable track bar. I have to run a 3/4" spacer up front to even out the gaps. Rides great. If I had it to do over though, I would get the 3.5" RE lift and Bilstein 5100's. The Rusty budget shocks that came with the lift rode a little rough at first, but once they were worn in, they actually ride really well.

That being said, I am incredibly happy with the Rusty's lift, just that the RE would have the little bit more lift that I'm now looking to get. In about a month I'll be going to a 1 1/2 spacer up front and a 3/4" shackle in the rear to get just a little more lift.

You won't be disappointed either route you go. But keep in mind that the RE kits are very underrated for the amount of lift they actually give. You'll probably get more around 4" if you go with the RE kit. With my Rusty's, I got about 4" out of the rear leaf pack, and right about the advertised 3" with the 3" springs. You might get a little more lift if you go with their 3" HD springs.

One thing I learned about Rusty's, is if you call them, they are EXTREMELY customer friendly. You'll realize that they are definitely in TN as per the thick country accent, but they aren't at all too proud to answer even the most basic questions.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 98XJ1C4
I went with the 3" Rusty's lift with an Adjustable track bar. I have to run a 3/4" spacer up front to even out the gaps. Rides great. If I had it to do over though, I would get the 3.5" RE lift and Bilstein 5100's. The Rusty budget shocks that came with the lift rode a little rough at first, but once they were worn in, they actually ride really well.

That being said, I am incredibly happy with the Rusty's lift, just that the RE would have the little bit more lift that I'm now looking to get. In about a month I'll be going to a 1 1/2 spacer up front and a 3/4" shackle in the rear to get just a little more lift.

You won't be disappointed either route you go. But keep in mind that the RE kits are very underrated for the amount of lift they actually give. You'll probably get more around 4" if you go with the RE kit. With my Rusty's, I got about 4" out of the rear leaf pack, and right about the advertised 3" with the 3" springs. You might get a little more lift if you go with their 3" HD springs.

One thing I learned about Rusty's, is if you call them, they are EXTREMELY customer friendly. You'll realize that they are definitely in TN as per the thick country accent, but they aren't at all too proud to answer even the most basic questions.

I agree on his Std. Adj. Track Bar my XJ had one on it when I bought it I replaced it with his HD Track Bar Package and have been very well pleased for the price ($220) and zero wear issues so far with the TRE. They still the best full spring entry level package out there IMHO and would choose them again after this amount of running them.

Only thing I would have done different in the very beginning if I had known how much I would enjoy the XJ I would have installed a quality Long Arm kit with all the extras. But that was a very large outlay to do it right the first time.