Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE 3.5" lift with OME Nitrocharger Shocks for 3-5" lift.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default RE 3.5" lift with OME Nitrocharger Shocks for 3-5" lift.

The title says it all. I am for sure buying the RE 3.5 kit, and i am leaning towards the old man emu nitrocharger shocks to just add a better ride since its my DD for now. I have heard of many combos with this lift kit, but not much on this one. I was wondering if anyone had some knowledge on this specific matter. I have had the RE superflex with RC shocks that i got for free, so it wasn't the best on my old 96 which i wish i had pics but that phone took a dive in the bay and wasn't backed up. But anyway, I LOVED the kit, but always wanted to know what it was like with better shocks. And OME is a name I'Ve trusted for a while.
Sorry for the long post but here's what i'm starting with. Stock 01 XJ 4WD with Chrysler 8.25 on back. All stock minus exhaust and fuel injectors.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

The main problem I have with RE is that it is overpriced for what you get. In that price range, I would buy quality components from different companies (just like the OME shocks) and have a much better solution for the same amount of money.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Overpriced? Maybe where you are ordering from lol Amazon has amazing deals on RE. I would go bilstiens over OME but either will be a much better shock over RC
Old 10-31-2017, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
Overpriced? Maybe where you are ordering from lol Amazon has amazing deals on RE. I would go bilstiens over OME but either will be a much better shock over RC
Ah yes, $584 instead of $599. Then ya need another $300-$400 for good shocks. Also, I personally would never run those fixed RE control arms.

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-31-2017, 05:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by SexyDexy
Ah yes, $584 instead of $599. Then ya need another $300-$400 for good shocks. Also, I personally would never run those fixed RE control arms.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubicon-Expre...70_&dpSrc=srch
Why dont you like the RE fixed arms? I have no complaints about mine.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
Why dont you like the RE fixed arms? I have no complaints about mine.
The main reason is that they cannot flex like the stock arms (or arms with joints) due to the ridged design, all that torque gets applied directly to the mounts...hence twisted/bent mounts. Also, the bushings are fairly short lived.

RE Coils and Springs are fine, but their other components are not worth their price tag. Oh and their Trackbars are hollow and have been known to break...not sure why they would design it that way.

I am not trying the bash RE, I just like people to get the most quality, functionality, and value for their hard earned $$$.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SexyDexy
The main reason is that they cannot flex like the stock arms (or arms with joints) due to the ridged design, all that torque gets applied directly to the mounts...hence twisted/bent mounts. Also, the bushings are fairly short lived.

RE Coils and Springs are fine, but their other components are not worth their price tag. Oh and their Trackbars are hollow and have been known to break...not sure why they would design it that way.

I am not trying the bash RE, I just like people to get the most quality, functionality, and value for their hard earned $$$.
Maybe we arent talking about the same RE arms. Mine have flex joints in one end and a big Clevite bushing in the other. They are the super old design. Dont know if they are the same ones the OP is thinking of getting either? Mine do bind before the shocks run out of travel but its takes quite a bit to get there. I run 12" travel shocks too. Bushing looks like this...

And it flexes like this. If you zoom in on the pass side lower arm where it mounts to the axle, you can see its maxed out but still lets it twist a lot.

I am also using a RE track bar and leafs. Havent had any issues with their stuff so far. The only thing is that even though I took a leaf out of the packs, it still rides a bit rough in the rear with my 5100 shocks. Not sure if that is the leaf or shocks fault.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:49 PM

Ok...if you look at the one's that come in the Amazon kit, they don't have that Clevite joint.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:02 PM
CF Veteran

Ahh that makes sense. You are talking about the super ride kit and I am talking about the super flex kit. If the OP has not got his kit yet, I am with you. Dont like the super ride arms. Get the super flex instead.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:04 PM

Also here's that thread about the Broken RE Trackbar...scary!

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/ru...d-1611753.html
Old 10-31-2017, 07:49 PM
CF Veteran

When only one person complains about RE you can't take them seriously...
Old 11-01-2017, 01:34 PM

When only one person complains about RE you can't take them seriously...
If you feel RE is a great value for the money, then go for it. But just know there are stronger, smoother, and more reliable options in the same price range.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:42 AM
CF Veteran

Wonder like who? Zone?
Old 11-02-2017, 10:00 AM

Wonder like who? Zone?
Zone is a great value...but this thread is good example of what I am referring to: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/ol...t-kits-203278/
Old 11-04-2017, 12:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by dylrush
The title says it all. I am for sure buying the RE 3.5 kit, and i am leaning towards the old man emu nitrocharger shocks to just add a better ride since its my DD for now. I have heard of many combos with this lift kit, but not much on this one. I was wondering if anyone had some knowledge on this specific matter. I have had the RE superflex with RC shocks that i got for free, so it wasn't the best on my old 96 which i wish i had pics but that phone took a dive in the bay and wasn't backed up. But anyway, I LOVED the kit, but always wanted to know what it was like with better shocks. And OME is a name I'Ve trusted for a while.
Sorry for the long post but here's what i'm starting with. Stock 01 XJ 4WD with Chrysler 8.25 on back. All stock minus exhaust and fuel injectors.
If you decide on getting the OME shocks, you need the "long travel" shocks. 60052L & 60053L - L is for long travel. the standard shock is too short.