Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RC upper/lower control arms.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default RC upper/lower control arms.

Okay so apparently my upper control arm is bent to hell. I ordered new RC uppers and lowers and I've heard that installing the lowers is easy. I haven't heard too much about uppers. I searched but I can't seem to find a write-up or video on how to correctly install them. Do I need to lift the jeep for uppers and lowers? What tools will I need to remove the old arms and install the new arms.
IMG_3143.jpg
Heres some other pictures of the trip that bent the arm.
IMG_3051.jpg
IMG_3045.jpg
Went on the first 2 miles or so of the Rubicon.
Thanks,
Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails RC upper/lower control arms.-img_3143.jpg   RC upper/lower control arms.-img_3051.jpg   RC upper/lower control arms.-img_3045.jpg  
Old 12-03-2013, 08:12 AM

Jack the Jeep up as high as you can and set some tall jack stands under the front frame rails. Then put a bottle jack under the front diff so you can raise and lower the axle ... you want the axle to be sort of free floating with as little spring tension in the coils as possible. Make sure to unbolt the front driveshaft as well.

Mu suggestion is to replace the uppers first. Then the lowers. Getting the lowers to line up can be really tricky ... you will have to rotate the axle and move it around to get the holes to line up .... that's why you want as little tension on the axle as possible.

You will need a good 1/2" drive socket set, wrenches, PB Blaster, and a good piece of 3' pipe to use as a cheater bar.

Are your new arms adjustable? If they are, then you should do a lot of research on how to adjust them properly to get a good balance between pinion and caster angle.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Bottle jack or I was able to ratchet from the bottom of the steering knuckle to the inside of the swaybar and I didn't go crazy but it was enough to move the axle forward for my new lower control arms
Old 12-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Put the uppers in first, with jacks supporting the frame and the axle hanging, you can leave your coils and steering attached but take out the track bar. Then use a come along to move the mount holes close to the control arm eyes then use a punch to pry the eye to line up with the mount hole and blast the bolt through the hole with an impact. Put the track bar back on by lowering the jeep on its tires and having a helper move the wheel until the mount hole and the eye match up. 4 link setups are not fun to assemble especially after you break stuff and re weld mounts but you will eventually get used to the tricks of putting them back together and it will be less of a challenge.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

I did not even use a jack when I did my LCAs. I don't see why you would need to lift it to do the uppers as long as you did one at a time.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by XJmike0122
I did not even use a jack when I did my LCAs. I don't see why you would need to lift it to do the uppers as long as you did one at a time.
If the arms are the exact same size, that works. If you are installing adjustables or longer arms ... it can be a real pain to line things up unless you can move the axle around relatively easily.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by MrSimon
If the arms are the exact same size, that works. If you are installing adjustables or longer arms ... it can be a real pain to line things up unless you can move the axle around relatively easily.
I went from stock to adj IRO LCAs. Socket wrench, combination wrench and a ratchet strap is all I used. 45 min install.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:14 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by MrSimon
Jack the Jeep up as high as you can and set some tall jack stands under the front frame rails. Then put a bottle jack under the front diff so you can raise and lower the axle ... you want the axle to be sort of free floating with as little spring tension in the coils as possible. Make sure to unbolt the front driveshaft as well.

Mu suggestion is to replace the uppers first. Then the lowers. Getting the lowers to line up can be really tricky ... you will have to rotate the axle and move it around to get the holes to line up .... that's why you want as little tension on the axle as possible.

You will need a good 1/2" drive socket set, wrenches, PB Blaster, and a good piece of 3' pipe to use as a cheater bar.

Are your new arms adjustable? If they are, then you should do a lot of research on how to adjust them properly to get a good balance between pinion and caster angle.
Yes the new arms are adjustable. The jeep has a leaf/coil 2" lift i believe. The owner before me didnt know what brand or if it was from different trucks.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Only 2" lift you'll have to adjust the new arms the entire way in (closed) for them to work