Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rc lift question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rc lift question

I know there is a thread about this but I couldn't find it. I'm 16 and about to get my first lift. I have heard that the rear leaf springs on rough countries lifts can come short. How often does this happen cause I don't have extra money to get the relocation brackets if this does happen and if it does and I were to call rough country would they send me longer ones I'm only going for 3 inches. Thanks guys I need this lift to go easy because my parents don't like the idea of me lifting any ways and its taken a year for me to convince them.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 242CID I-6

i did the 4.5 add a leaf no problems except i broke my upper shock bolts off and had to weld new ones on. they are talking about the full leaf packs that you bolt on. i love my rough country and i wheel it hard rocks deep snow and i drive it to and from work every once in a while.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:53 AM

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Some have had issues....I have not. I got the 3" with full leafs and I think it is great. I only get slight vibes at like 10 mph....once I get above that it drives nice and smooth. I figure a shim in the rear will probably get rid of that though. Took me five hours to do the install with hand tools, if you have access to air tools, it would probably be like 4 hours.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 242CID I-6

ya on mine they said 5 hour install time, THEY MEAN IT! lol with air tools!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:09 PM

Year: 99

Yeah the add-a-leafs add some time to it.....I didn't want to fuss with add-a-leafs. I have always had luck with new leafs.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:17 PM

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by 1995xjsport
if this does happen and if it does and I were to call rough country would they send me longer ones
No, they will try to sell you relocation brackets.

This was also a big concern of mine. After doing a lot of research I decided against both RC and RE. RC because of the issue with them being too short and RE for the issue of getting more lift than desired.

I have decided on the 2" Old Man Emu full leaf springs with an adjustable lift shackle. I'm piecing my kit together, if your budget is tight I would consider doing the same. Check craigslist or the for sale section on this forum for good deals on parts and only buy new what you can't find. A friend of mine is giving me his old Racho 3" coils and shocks, so all I need is the leaf springs (and a few other nicnacs).

I'd search around 1st. The risk of needing a relocation bracket with the RC lift far outweighs the perks of its price. Just my $.02.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:19 PM

Year: 1997 & 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

Yes, Rough Country does have issues with their full rear leaf springs (Add-a-leaf's not included). The full leaf packs are the same whether you go with their 4.5 or 6.5 inch kits. The difference is that the 6.5 kits come with longer shackles which mitigates some of the problem. The worst situation is when you get a RC 4.5 inch kit with a full leaf pack.

I've contacted them numerous times to see if they will resolve my issue. I even contacted their service support manager. They are unwilling to do anything and advise that I pay full price for shackle relocation brackets... which I don't want because it will add more lift (and expense).
Old 03-11-2013, 12:51 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 6cyl

If your worried about having to buy something else after your install I.e relocation brackets. Your not ready to lift it. Take your time and don't rush because you need to do it right. Don't mean to sound negative but anyone that's worked on any vehicle will tell you things very rarely go as planned.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by THare22
If your worried about having to buy something else after your install I.e relocation brackets. Your not ready to lift it. Take your time and don't rush because you need to do it right. Don't mean to sound negative but anyone that's worked on any vehicle will tell you things very rarely go as planned.
X2. Do some more reading. A very helpful tip I used was searching by thread title for "lift problem". This will show you a list of all the threads started by people who put on a lift and had problems with it. Those are the lift kits you probably do NOT want.

Unless you're really hoping to run 31's I'd suggest getting a 2" lift with full leaf packs in rear and coil spacers up front. You won't have to do anything but add those parts and you'll be flexible for future lifts when you're ready.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ta2tony

X2. Do some more reading. A very helpful tip I used was searching by thread title for "lift problem". This will show you a list of all the threads started by people who put on a lift and had problems with it. Those are the lift kits you probably do NOT want.

Unless you're really hoping to run 31's I'd suggest getting a 2" lift with full leaf packs in rear and coil spacers up front. You won't have to do anything but add those parts and you'll be flexible for future lifts when you're ready.
I'm going to cut my fenders to run 33s
Old 03-11-2013, 06:32 PM

I'm going to cut my fenders to run 33s
Then OME 2" leafs w/ adjustable lift shackles in back, Rusty's coils up front, Biltstien 5100 shocks, and a RE adjustable track bar.

Thats kinda the route I'm going for a 3-3.5" lift. I haven't found a single bad thing written about OME leafs on this site, so if you're worried about the RC leaf packs thats another option.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by ta2tony

Then OME 2" leafs w/ adjustable lift shackles in back, Rusty's coils up front, Biltstien 5100 shocks, and a RE adjustable track bar.

Thats kinda the route I'm going for a 3-3.5" lift. I haven't found a single bad thing written about OME leafs on this site, so if you're worried about the RC leaf packs thats another option.
How do u guys feel about rusty's 3 inch lift I hear good reveiws
Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 PM

How do u guys feel about rusty's 3 inch lift I hear good reveiws
I was originally going to go with Rusty's 3"...but their shipping priced them out of my business. Everything I've found on here makes me think their leaf packs mount up proper.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm just finishing up putting in my 3" RC lift with AAL,here's my first hand advice, depending on how old/rusty/stripped your bolts are your gonna need to replace some hardware and maybe modify abit. And they say 3-4 hours, turn that into 3-4 days depending on a lot of variables. Make shure you have a grinder and possibly a hot wrench at the ready. I started mine on Friday and I should be finishing it up tomorrow. Have fun.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out zone offroad.
My leaves on the RC packs were short. After added metal like sliders and what not, the shackle angle was correct. I'm going to assume they designed these for jeeps with added metal. It didn't start sagging (below advertised height) until I added lots and lots of weight. A shackle relocation and longer shackle fixed that problem. Now the leaves are damn near flat. Going with custom Alcans in the future, I have some time though.

Last edited by mr white; 03-11-2013 at 09:43 PM.