Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RC control arm bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default RC control arm bushings?

My buddy got a RC 3" lift, just coils front fixed LCAs and AALs for $75 locally to start out his cherokee lift, and the guy he bought it from said it was only used a little over a year.
Well everything looks good except the control arm bushings are shot, so I PMed grimmus (the RC rep on here) and he said they do not make the bushings for the older style control arms anymore since they switched to a new design within the last year...
Any ideas on where he could get another set of bushings for them or is he screwed??
Old 01-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

Im not 100% sure, but i thought you could use stock control arms with up to 3" lift....hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in for you
Old 01-12-2011, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Screwd up 6
Im not 100% sure, but i thought you could use stock control arms with up to 3" lift....hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in for you
Yeah you can the stock ones up to 3" but he actually was going to 1" spacer on top shackle on top of this lift..
I know places like Energy Suspension makes tons bushings as well as plenty of other places (that may or may not fit) but I figured someone would know a place to get some better bushings!

Last edited by bmrrwolfe; 01-12-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by bmrrwolfe
Yeah you can the stock ones up to 3" but he actually was going to 1" spacer on top shackle on top of this lift..
I know places like Energy Suspension makes tons bushings as well as plenty of other places (that may or may not fit) but I have heard RC bushings aren't very good to begin with, so I figured someone would know a place to get some better bushings!
if you going to go to 4ich then get 4inch arms problem solved
Old 01-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Seasoned Member

I know places like Energy Suspension makes tons bushings as well as plenty of other places (that may or may not fit) but I have heard RC bushings aren't very good to begin with, so I figured someone would know a place to get some better bushings!
I hope that isnt true, i just bought my RC lift a couple weeks back, I sure hope I dont have to buy new control arms if the bushings ever go out.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

My buddy got a RC 3" lift, just coils front fixed LCAs and AALs for $75 locally to start out his cherokee lift, and the guy he bought it from said it was only used a little over a year.
Well everything looks good except the control arm bushings are shot, so I PMed grimmus (the RC rep on here) and he said they do not make the bushings for the older style control arms anymore since they switched to a new design within the last year...
Any ideas on where he could get another set of bushings for them or is he screwed??
not making replacment bushing for your own products a nother reason to shop somewhere else
Old 01-12-2011, 01:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Screwd up 6
I hope that isnt true, i just bought my RC lift a couple weeks back, I sure hope I dont have to buy new control arms if the bushings ever go out.
If you bought it through RC you have the new arms so you should be okay, they stopped making the old kit about a year ago I guess, so these ones are actually about a 1 1/2-2 years old..

freegdr, you are right, not very smart to not make replacement bushings which are normal and wear and tear...
I guess I will just tell him run stock arms for now and tell him to keep the spacers and shackles out until he can afford new arms!
I think it was the stock JK arms that are good for 3-4" of lift right?

Last edited by bmrrwolfe; 01-12-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:37 PM

Year: 1996

if you are going to have to buy new arms you can buy those same arms still for $99 from RC. they have them in inventory but dont list them. I called and got mine a couple months ago.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Seasoned Member

and Jason on here from RC is offering 10% of and free shipping
Old 01-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

warranty on bushings are typically only a year with most companies if they even give you that long. If the kit was bought from us first hand I would do what I could to get you a new set of arms out for very lil to no cost depending on the situation.

It is correct that you do not need arms for the 3" kit although stock arms are junk.

Its not a matter of not making replacement parts for our own product its just a matter of designs changing over the years. Where is the sense in stocking bushings that are A) not known to fail and B) are no longer used and havent been for over a year and C) are typically considered wear items and not covered under lifetime warranty (however because I try to take care of the people on the forums that my name is on I do what I can regardless of age)

To the op I will see what I can do to get your buddy some arms on the low low but because he bought the kit off of craigslist it makes it a lil difficult.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by GRIMUS99XJ
warranty on bushings are typically only a year with most companies if they even give you that long. If the kit was bought from us first hand I would do what I could to get you a new set of arms out for very lil to no cost depending on the situation.

It is correct that you do not need arms for the 3" kit although stock arms are junk.

Its not a matter of not making replacement parts for our own product its just a matter of designs changing over the years. Where is the sense in stocking bushings that are A) not known to fail and B) are no longer used and havent been for over a year and C) are typically considered wear items and not covered under lifetime warranty (however because I try to take care of the people on the forums that my name is on I do what I can regardless of age)

To the op I will see what I can do to get your buddy some arms on the low low but because he bought the kit off of craigslist it makes it a lil difficult.

Yeah that bad thing about buying stuff like that off craigslist... That would be awesome if you could cut him a deal on new arms, but if not you will still have his and my business. Before he found this, he was about to order a 3" kit from you, but then decided he may just 4.5" instead of regretting not going that high to begin with, so I told him the news and hes just going to sell off the springs and AALs he got to make a few bucks back and buy the 4.5" kit after selling off his other car.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

sounds good
Old 01-12-2011, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain on this one. I love RC stuff but the old style controls arms I do not. I'm on my 3rd set in my Jeep. The last set only lasted 1 week. 1 trail ride. RC did warranty them both times I'll give them that but they are useless if they don't hold up. You can use the stock style bushings for these. Apparently they are the best application for replacement. The Poly type will give you the same problems as the ones that come in the original arms. The problem with mine were the bushings only on the side where they mount to the frame rails not to the actual axle. Weird. But it is what it is. I'm gonna try the stock bushings and if that don't work, I'm going to Iron Man arms in the future. Oh, and the RC LCA's for the 3 inch and 4.5 inch are the same arms. FYI.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000

Not to hijack this thread but i'm in need of a adjustable trackbar for a rc 3" lift. where is the best place to buy one and how much? so far in my searching i havent come up with much. And if i put in spacers and shackles to push it toward 4-4.5" will i need a sye (don't really know much about those) or will i get away with a tc lowering kit??
Old 01-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Originally Posted by 00Pajeepcherokee
Not to hijack this thread but i'm in need of a adjustable trackbar for a rc 3" lift. where is the best place to buy one and how much? so far in my searching i havent come up with much. And if i put in spacers and shackles to push it toward 4-4.5" will i need a sye (don't really know much about those) or will i get away with a tc lowering kit??

Quick Reply: RC control arm bushings?