Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RC adj. double shear trac-bar issues

Old 05-15-2013, 03:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.6L I6 Stroker with port matched +99 intake and 62mm TB
Default RC adj. double shear trac-bar issues

I got this RC trac-bar a little over a year ago and the heim joint seemed to freely spin around when I had it disconnected from the axle. I've heard a ton of bad things about this trac-bar, mostly saying that the heim joint wears out quickly. I have pretty bad DW starting at around ~40-45 MPH, and I know trac-bar is a good place to start. The polyurethane bushing side going to the drop bracket seems fine. Does anyone have any suggestions to remedy this problem, such as a better quality heim joint or should I just replace the whole damn trac-bar with something better?

Also, I should add that I started having DW before I swapped axles, and still have it now that the new-to-me axle is installed. So, don't *think* hubs, ball joints, etc. The UCA's have new polyurethane bushings axle side and the stock, 26 year old rubber bushing frame side. The LCA's are Rusty's with the bend and rubber bushings (seem to be in decent condition).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Cherokee-XJ-Adjustable-Track-Bar-4-6-5-RC-/260745988655?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb5ac0a2f

__________________________________________________ __________________

1986 Comanche Custom, 2.5L I4, AX4 manual, NP207, Open diff. 3.55 HP D30/D35, 7-ft bed, dual exhaust, 225/70R/15, no lift, etc. -- <MJ Build>
1988 Cherokee Pioneer, 4.7L I6 Stroker, AW4 automatic, NP231, Open diff. 4.10 HP D30/C8.25, 31x10.5x15 Dunlop Mud Rovers, 4" lift, etc. -- <XJ Build>

Death Wobble?

Comanche Stock Specs
Old 05-15-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 H.O. 180K miles

Did the new trac bar drop the frame mount point at all? If your drag link isnt parallel with it that can cause DW.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Its usually just bump steer and not DW tho...

If the heims have play you'll see the movement as the wheels get turned side to side. Have a buddy turn the steering wheel while you examine the steering components.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Well, since you know of the KNOWN issue. I recommend getting a better trackbar/possibly mount. IRO, RE, Currie, Clayton etc. And either toss/donate/find some poor sap to sell the RC junk to.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Metmknice
Well, since you know of the KNOWN issue. I recommend getting a better trackbar/possibly mount. IRO, RE, Currie, Clayton etc. And either toss/donate/find some poor sap to sell the RC junk to.
This. I would rather run a stock track bar.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

That mount looks identical to the IRO one. Is it a solid bar?

Just replace the heim with a quality one.

Less hassle.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
That mount looks identical to the IRO one. Is it a solid bar?

Just replace the heim with a quality one.

Less hassle.
I believe the bar is solid past the threaded portion, but I'd have to verify that... As far as replacing the heim, that was my first thought, but I don't know what would work... Any suggestions? I've heard Ruff Stuff is good, but I wouldn't know what specific heim I'd need to replace this, such as thread pitch, size, and that piece inside the heim that the bolt goes through... Oh, and wouldn't I need some misalignment washers on both sides? I need to get it fixed fast since I have a 2.5 hour drive to URE in a week.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:43 PM

Year: 1999

Funny, I started a very similar thread this morning... Take a look at Rusty's, they offer (3) thread-in bushings for trac bars, one of which should thread into the RC trac bar and replace the clunky heim. My only question is, with bushings on both ends, will the trac bar bind as the suspension cycles in an arc (as viewed from the side), essentially causing the trac bar to "twist"? This is where I see the benefit of a heim or other flex joint as compared to a bushing...
Old 05-16-2013, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tobyw
Funny, I started a very similar thread this morning... Take a look at Rusty's, they offer (3) thread-in bushings for trac bars, one of which should thread into the RC trac bar and replace the clunky heim. My only question is, with bushings on both ends, will the trac bar bind as the suspension cycles in an arc (as viewed from the side), essentially causing the trac bar to "twist"? This is where I see the benefit of a heim or other flex joint as compared to a bushing...
That's a good question... one of which I would like to know the answer to as well. I'm okay with another heim IF it's of quality and won't go to $h!t in 6 months.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:16 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

Heim joints are complete crap! No matter who makes them. I'm a recovering mini-trucker and have built my fair share of air suspension set ups and have never had any luck with heims. A well built triangulated 4-link with heims on a mini would feel and handle great on the first few days, but after a few thousand miles of road grime in the heims you could shift the rear end side to side while on jackstands. And thats just road crud from an asphalt queen think about how much crap ends up in the joints after a good day of wheelin. If at anyway possible install a super flex joint (Thorbeke bros. calls them that iirc) Anyways just my two Lincolns
Old 05-16-2013, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Would something like this work? http://www.4wheelparts.com/Fabricati...pn=CURCE-9114L

Of course I'd have to verify what dimensions will work for my setup, but is this what you're talking about?
Old 05-16-2013, 05:50 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97

Originally Posted by onlyinajeep726
Would something like this work? http://www.4wheelparts.com/Fabricati...pn=CURCE-9114L

Of course I'd have to verify what dimensions will work for my setup, but is this what you're talking about?
Yes and don't listen to that other guy, there is nothing wrong with heim joints.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:51 PM

Year: 1999

Yep, that is a Currie Johny Joint, pretty much the benchmark that all other "flex joints" are measured against. I don't think they make one small enough for a direct fit into the RC trac bar though??? I tried looking on Currie's website and only found them down to 1" threads... Pretty sure the RC trac bar is like 3/4" or maybe 7/8" threads??
Old 05-16-2013, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BNJeepsta
Yes and don't listen to that other guy, there is nothing wrong with heim joints.

There is nothing wrong with a horse and buggy either, but I prefer to drive an automobile. Just seems like a better way
Old 05-16-2013, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by onlyinajeep726

Yup, thats what I'm talking about. Although the stud on that particular unit will be way too large. Im damn near sure that you can find those in smaller sizes. I'll do some searching and see what I can come up with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RC adj. double shear trac-bar issues