Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet interior

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop
Default Quiet interior

Many of us on here have a daily driver/weekend wheeler rig. Me being one of those people lol.

I drive 50+ miles a day with my 96 and am looking for a way to make my commute more pleasent by making the interior quiet. I will be getting weatherstripping for it, but that's all i've really thought of. Any tips or tricks to kill some sound?
Old 08-15-2011, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Well....

You can buy sound-deadening material from most audio shops that gets installed under the carpet, in the door panels, and behind the dash. Oh, and under the headliner. This is probably the best way to do it, but it's a TON of work and the material isn't cheap by any means. (If you decide to go this way, don't get the tar stuff)

Something else that can be done (relatively minor but it helps to solve the creaks of the dash from the unibody movement), is to buy stick-on felt and attach it to all of the seams and attachment points behind the dash.

Good luck
Old 08-15-2011, 02:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Silver60th
Well....

You can buy sound-deadening material from most audio shops that gets installed under the carpet, in the door panels, and behind the dash. Oh, and under the headliner. This is probably the best way to do it, but it's a TON of work and the material isn't cheap by any means. (If you decide to go this way, don't get the tar stuff)

Something else that can be done (relatively minor but it helps to solve the creaks of the dash from the unibody movement), is to buy stick-on felt and attach it to all of the seams and attachment points behind the dash.

Good luck
I've used the dynamat stuff and it doesn't do too much for me lol. I was thinking of taking all the carpet out, applying some roll on bedliner, and adding thick carpet padding to eliminate some of the road noise.
Another idea I might try is buying a few cans of spray foam and filling in the hollow spots in the unibody. What do you think?
Old 08-15-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Silver60th

Good luck
I have a set of TNT unibody rails on my XJ. Since I have installed them my interior hasent made a peep. Even on the roughest of roads. Its amazing how much more peaceful it is to drive with all the squeaks and rattles gone.

If you have modified exhaust make sure the tailpipe has a turn down or extends past the rear of the Jeep. If it exits under the Jeep it will echo up through the floor and hatch.

I added carpet out of a 2001 to my 96. The 01 had much thicker better quality insulation. It also had extra over the trans tunnel, muffler area and rear wheel wells. Where my original 96 carpet was the same all over.

Also, from my experiance, bedliners that dry to a hard finish like herculiner tend not to quiet things down as much as the softer rubbery liners. Coat the underside with soft rubber undercoat on the floors and rear wheel wells.

Just some ideas that have worked for me.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:30 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

The typical car audio stuff does very little other than stop resonance in sheet metal panels. For years people have simply piled it on adding considerable cost and weight for a pretty measley return. Don at sounddeadenershowdown.com, trough years of personal research, has come up with a great approach. I recommend his site as mandatory reading for anyone venturing into quieting their vehicle. Not only are his products top notch, but he's easily reachable and a generally nice guy to deal with.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

spam? somehow?
Old 08-15-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hoooper
spam? somehow?
Ummmmmmmm...no

Just trying to be helpful.

I realize it's my first post and that it appears I'm hocking a product, but really I'm just trying to give back the best possible information that I can on the subject. I've had my XJ for about a year, and have been a member for at least that long. I have not made any posts because I have not had anything of value to add.

I am not a big offroader, but I do have a lot of experience with car audio. Before Don started selling product, he was like your average DIY person trying to get the most bang for your buck. He tested pretty much every product available and posted his findings. He's a straight shooter and will not spout an ounce of B.S. Check out his site in the wayback machine to check out his old reviews. Now that he's selling product, I just like to help support him after all of the help he's been to the car audio community over the past years.

Again, not spam and I am not affiliated with SDS (I know, first post hocking a product, but it's not)

Look him up on other forums as Rudeboy (DIYMA.com specifically, but probably caraudio.com and others as well) He's super helpful on this topic.

Dave
Old 08-15-2011, 09:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by MN-Cherokee
I have a set of TNT unibody rails on my XJ. Since I have installed them my interior hasent made a peep. Even on the roughest of roads. Its amazing how much more peaceful it is to drive with all the squeaks and rattles gone.

If you have modified exhaust make sure the tailpipe has a turn down or extends past the rear of the Jeep. If it exits under the Jeep it will echo up through the floor and hatch.

I added carpet out of a 2001 to my 96. The 01 had much thicker better quality insulation. It also had extra over the trans tunnel, muffler area and rear wheel wells. Where my original 96 carpet was the same all over.

Also, from my experiance, bedliners that dry to a hard finish like herculiner tend not to quiet things down as much as the softer rubbery liners. Coat the underside with soft rubber undercoat on the floors and rear wheel wells.

Just some ideas that have worked for me.
I've been looking at some rock sliders actually. I'm running a flowmaster and it exits at the rear bumper. I may get longer tips though. My underbody is coated in rubberized undercoating so it should help a little. I doubt I'll be able to find carpet from an 01 around here, so I'm just gonna get new padding.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

if you add sound deadening to the firewall (inside or out) it will quiet down the engine noise pretty well.

Even adding heavy rubber mats to the floors and cargo area can help a lot.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP.....What exactly is the noise that you have? If it's the normal rattle of the dashboard with the occasional squeeks, drop your PSI in your tires so they are a little softer. Extended rear shackles will soften up the rear as well depending on the rear leaf pack you have. Also look in to better shocks to absorb impact. I have the Zone Nitro shocks and they are incredible on AND offroad. My Jeep now makes no noise EXCEPT the tires hitting the pavement. I'm nuerotic when it comes to a quiet ride.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Lyon
To the OP.....What exactly is the noise that you have? If it's the normal rattle of the dashboard with the occasional squeeks, drop your PSI in your tires so they are a little softer. Extended rear shackles will soften up the rear as well depending on the rear leaf pack you have. Also look in to better shocks to absorb impact. I have the Zone Nitro shocks and they are incredible on AND offroad. My Jeep now makes no noise EXCEPT the tires hitting the pavement. I'm nuerotic when it comes to a quiet ride.
It's squeaking, rattling, engine drone, and road noise. pretty much everything.

I'm gonna drop the PSI, but I'm hoping my MPGs won't lower lol.
I have an AAL so i don't know if I should use longer shackles. I have Zone hyrdo shocks that came with my lift and they kinda suck. I might try the nitros. I'm also looking at BDS shocks, and Rancho RS5000s
Old 08-15-2011, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by razor02097
if you add sound deadening to the firewall (inside or out) it will quiet down the engine noise pretty well.

Even adding heavy rubber mats to the floors and cargo area can help a lot.
I might do the firewall thing, that hasn't been done yet.

As for the floor mats, I have some rubber all season Jeep floor mats in both the front and rear.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you looked at http://www.lizardskin.com/ its a spray on water based sound deadening.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:00 AM

There are pretty much two materials that you should be able to use to tackle all of those issues. Closed cell foam in various thicknesses and a heavy sheet product, something that is 1lb/sqft or heavier, most people use what's called mass loaded vinyl which can be found at a variety of places. Typical jute padding, as used under carpet does little to block the low frequency road noise that is most annoying.

Find the squeaks and rattles and isolate them using a thinner (usually the 1/8" stuff) closed cell foam (you could also use felt tape)

The best way to do a floor and firewall is to put a layer of 1/4" or thicker closed cell foam (which is great because it does not hold water like jute or open cell foam will) and then to lay mass loaded vinyl over it. In a Cherokee I'm willing to bet this would make a drastic difference.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Its a Jeep Cherokee XJ. Not a Cadillac.

Quick Reply: Quiet interior