Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions About Dual Factory Electric Rad Fan Setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Questions About Dual Factory Electric Rad Fan Setup

Ive been reading about guys who are running 2 factory 99+ 10 blade electric fans in their XJs and had a few questions. First off, is anybody here running this setup? What do you think about it?It looks like they each push 1340 CFM which is pretty good to me, but are the 2 of them enough to keep the engine cooled down as much as a clutch fan or aftermarket dual electric fan setup?

My other question is what to do about wiring them up. When I got my XJ the previous owner ran the electric fan to a toggle switch and its manual only now since He didnt wire a relay or anything. Are there any GOOD cheap kits out there or at least a solid and cheap fan speed controller and thermo probe out there so I can have one fan working as the main and have the other fan kick on with the A/C while also having the ability to cut either or both on manually whenever I want? What would be the best way to set these up? I was thinking on making 1 run all the time while having the other come on with the A/C or when the temp reaches a certain point. That being said I have no idea when a good "ON" point would be nor do I know how all this should work with the A/C etc. I think before I do all of this Ill be buying a 2 row CSF radiator. Thanks for your help. You guys are great.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Mechanical fan along with an electric fan Is really good.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

i run a volvo fan(same as taurus 3.8 fan) with the volvo fan controller and a soon a bmw thermo switch(195 low/210 high)

i have the stock aux fan wire on a switch for manual operation/normal operation, and off

lots of detail in my build thread about the fan swap
Old 11-03-2014, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by cleenrob
i run a volvo fan(same as taurus 3.8 fan) with the volvo fan controller and a soon a bmw thermo switch(195 low/210 high)

i have the stock aux fan wire on a switch for manual operation/normal operation, and off

lots of detail in my build thread about the fan swap
That's exactly what I need to know. I'll definitely check out your build thread. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988

I'm gonna be honest and tell you I'm running 2 stock xj e fans, one is a stock 88 e fan and one is a china "oem" fit e fan and believe it or not I can't run both unless I'm wheeling hard because it will run too cool.
Keep I'm mind my cooling system is brand new and I have no ac condenser in front of the rad
Old 11-04-2014, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by 884x4
I'm gonna be honest and tell you I'm running 2 stock xj e fans, one is a stock 88 e fan and one is a china "oem" fit e fan and believe it or not I can't run both unless I'm wheeling hard because it will run too cool.
Keep I'm mind my cooling system is brand new and I have no ac condenser in front of the rad
That's excellent! This is what I was hoping to hear. What I might do is just run one exactly how it comes stock and run the other the way I'm currently doing it now with a manual toggle switch. My plan was to upgrade both to the 99+ 10 blade fan but I might just buy one of those instead.

My plan is also to install a CSF 2 core rad and new thermostat...possibly the water pump but its only 3 years old. Then the only difference between yours and mine is the condenser and maybe the radiator if you have a 3 core. Thanks for the confirmation on this.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:45 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988

Originally Posted by M4RK
That's excellent! This is what I was hoping to hear. What I might do is just run one exactly how it comes stock and run the other the way I'm currently doing it now with a manual toggle switch. My plan was to upgrade both to the 99+ 10 blade fan but I might just buy one of those instead.

My plan is also to install a CSF 2 core rad and new thermostat...possibly the water pump but its only 3 years old. Then the only difference between yours and mine is the condenser and maybe the radiator if you have a 3 core. Thanks for the confirmation on this.
There's quite a few people out there who have tried the setup I have and their jeeps ran hot. I wheeled my jeep in 90 degrees for 30 min and it never got above 200 with both fans running.
I don't know why it works so well for me but I'm glad it did.
I hope it works for you too just don't count on it lol
I just have a spectra premium radiator, napa water pump, dealer stat, brand new upper lower hoses, new heater hoses, new pressure bottle and Volvo cap(closed cooing system on my renix) no confessor like I said and a new 4.0 with only 3000 miles on it. All that combined gives me a jeep that runs great and cool when I need it to.
Good luck with yours man