Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on lift size

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Question on lift size

I am looking to build an XJ for rock crawling and the northwest trails. I have decided to go with Iron Rock Off Road for my lift kit. I will be going with a long arm suspension system but am not sure what size lift to go with. I want to run 35x12.5 tires. I don't know if I should go with a 5.5", 6.5" or 8" lift kit. I'm not going for looks here I want something that is going to get me where I want to go no questions asked. What would you recommend? Is the downward tire travel going to me that much more helpful with keeping the tires on the ground to keep traction with a 6.5" vs 5.5" etc...?
Old 08-28-2011, 02:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by legion1capone
I am looking to build an XJ for rock crawling and the northwest trails. I have decided to go with Iron Rock Off Road for my lift kit. I will be going with a long arm suspension system but am not sure what size lift to go with. I want to run 35x12.5 tires. I don't know if I should go with a 5.5", 6.5" or 8" lift kit. I'm not going for looks here I want something that is going to get me where I want to go no questions asked. What would you recommend? Is the downward tire travel going to me that much more helpful with keeping the tires on the ground to keep traction with a 6.5" vs 5.5" etc...?
I'm running 4.5 inches with 35s and trimming. I don't like flopping my rigs so I try to keep them as low as I can and have found that it is doable for a short wheel base rig. If I were looking at a long wheel base pickup trying to run 35s I would have to go taller because of the bad break over angle. Hope this makes sense to you, I guess I just don't like tippy that much.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 litre

I have a 6.5" Rough Country Long Arm with 2" coil blocks and my own 1 ton leaf packs for a total of about 8" of lift.
I can flex my XJ A LOT more than people thought I could. I haven't found a rock or hill I have needed to have a tire off the ground to get over. I've never had a lift from there, I hear they are good but being 2 lifts on my cherokee first one 4" and a lift on my Toyota I had 6 years ago I stick with Rough Country but different shocks that when come with the kit.

This was my 4"

This is my 8" total

I'm still not flexed out all the way. I needed to go further up the hill but there was a truck there. Some how with 4" more lift I can flex over twice as much. My 4" was flexed all the way and my 8" I still haven't flexed it all the way.
But when it flexes this much my coil still doesn't come loose at the top.

I prefer the 6.5" lift JMO
Old 08-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Seasoned Member

I have 8.5 on mine and its too tippy. It just feels top heavy. Mines not a dedicated trail rig and will be dropped to 6.5. IMO 8 is to high for 35. 6.5 with trimming would be the ticket IMO.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:35 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Mines sitting right around 7.5 on 33s... bout to go 35s and I have yet to lift a back tire. I've been very off camber and never gotten close to rolling.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:34 PM

Awesome thank you for the help guys. I will go with the Iron Rock Offroad 6.5" critical path long arm lift kit!