Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for anyone with a Sprintex supercharger

Old 07-20-2014, 10:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Question for anyone with a Sprintex supercharger

So, the time has come to pull the trigger and either go with a 4.7 stroker kit or a Sprintex supercharger.

I'm strongly leaning towards the supercharger for a few reasons:

1) Boost is always more fun
2) A supercharger should be cheaper in the end than a stroker kit

I've explored my options as far as boost goes and I don't want to dump the money into a turbo kit. I've owned tons of cars in the past in which I installed aftermarket supercharger kits and I've always been happy. I'm not the guy who is looking to get turbocharger type power out of a supercharger. I'm merely looking for something that will be good for an extra 50-100hp depending and I feel that is a very realistic expectation from a supercharger.

Anyhow, I like the Eaton kit a lot of guys on here are using but I refuse to cut a hole in my hood, I just don't like that look. That being said, I have found a Sprintex kit I am about to order. I have read all about the Sprintex kit and what I need in order to get it running properly. The only question I have left before I place my order is this:

Is this Sprintex supercharger loud?

I can't seem to find the answer to that anywhere but it's an important question. Back in the day I had a Vortech V1 blower on one of my previous cars and that thing whined so loud it was seriously annoying as hell to drive. I don't want to be that guy with the obnoxious car. I like the supercharger whine under full throttle but I do not like the annoying whine at idle and just cruising around town.

I'm hoping someone on here with a Sprintex kit can shed some light on this. If it's one of those obnoxious kits I'll skip it altogether because that will just annoy the **** out of me!

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 07-20-2014, 11:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$4k for that supercharger. I don't think the stroker would even come close to that price point. Hell, you could swap in a v8 for that price plus more.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:35 PM
Seasoned Member

4k? It's $2700 brand new and that price is coming directly from Sprintex USA themselves.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:38 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by PumpinIron
4k? It's $2700 brand new and that price is coming directly from Sprintex USA themselves.
All the places I found were 4k. Link?
Old 07-20-2014, 11:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by mr white
All the places I found were 4k. Link?
There is no link, just get ahold of Sprintex USA and they will tell you it's $2700 for the kit. I talked to them just a few days ago personally.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:01 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by PumpinIron

There is no link, just get ahold of Sprintex USA and they will tell you it's $2700 for the kit. I talked to them just a few days ago personally.
Oh nice that's pretty good. I just saw it was like 4k on their site too.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by mr white
Oh nice that's pretty good. I just saw it was like 4k on their site too.
They used to be 4k but they lowered the prices substantially to get rid of remaining stock. The XJ kit was never actually a full on production kit as it was only intended as a prototype kit. From my understanding they found that after making X amount of prototype kits there simply wasn't as much interest with XJ owners as they thought there would have been.

That being said, once they get rid of all the remaining kits that will be the last of them from what I hear.

For $2700 I think that it's a pretty good deal. A bit cheaper than a stroker (at least from what I have priced out) and for the most part it's a bolt on affair.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

The sprintex has a slight whine at idle. To the 'enthusiests ear' you will hear it. Definately not obnoxious loud.

For that $2700, there is no tune included. You will be on your own for that.

For that price, I have a side mount Eaton kit complete with a Split Second 7th injector controller all preprogrammed and ready to go.

Last edited by CobraMarty; 07-21-2014 at 03:00 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by CobraMarty
The sprintex has a slight whine at idle. To the 'enthusiests ear' you will hear it. Definately not obnoxious loud.

For that $2700, there is no tune included. You will be on your own for that.

For that price, I have a side mount Eaton kit complete with a Split Second 7th injector controller all preprogrammed and ready to go.
I didn't know there was a side mount Eaton kit. Any advantage to the Eaton over the Sprintex?
Old 07-24-2014, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Eaton Side mount M62 Supercharger Kit

http://jeepm62superchargerkit.blogsp...mount-kit.html
Old 07-24-2014, 10:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Very cool! I'm still not sure about the Eaton vs the Sprintex though. I've done tons of research and haven't been able to find anything about an Eaton vs Sprintex charger. As far as I know they're both positive displacement superchargers but I thought I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the Sprintex unit is slightly better at boost delivery.

Also, maybe you would know but is the Sprintex unit a twin screw type supercharger or not?
Old 07-24-2014, 10:52 AM
CF Veteran

I have both the Sprintex 210 and the Eaton M62.
The Sprintex is a twin screw and the eaton is a twisted roots.
The Sprintex is a bit more efficent and with a slightly lower discharge temps.
They are both nearly the same size, 57 cubic in air per rev vs. 62.
Sprintex is newer design, more expensive.
Sprintex will put out more boost vs. the Eaton M62.
The Sprintex has some very elegant manifolds.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996

You might want to wander over to the Mini Cooper forum (northamericanmotoring) and take a look at the threads on Sprintex experience there. Not very good and there were reports that there were problems with the Sprintex on Jeep 4.0.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:11 PM
Seasoned Member

I've read a lot but it seems that Marty has had good luck with his unit and it's held up quite well for a while now.

I suppose just like anything else mechanical it's all about how you maintain it and take care of it.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:50 AM
CF Veteran

We have over 30,000 miles on our Sprintex SC. In fact I don't know anyone with problems with the Sprintex SC kit for the 4.0. The only issues is there was no tuning available from Sprintex and I had to develop the Split Second Box and get it to work with the 7th injector. Those with issues, are having tuning problems. The M62 kit uses the same SS control box. I find it comical that the mini cooper forum, who I am sure no one there has a Sprintex 4.0 SC, can make comments about something they have NO experience with. I guess they are sore losers to a Jeep 4.0 with a supercharger which will and has spanked the pants off their minis.

The Sprintex SC kit is a good unit, it just does not have any tuning solution included and you are on your own for the tuning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for anyone with a Sprintex supercharger