Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Control arm Mod....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Question about Control arm Mod....

Howdy. So , I bought new upper & lower control arm for my 2000 sport and I am wondering if anyone has welded a DIY stiffener ( flat stock or 1 1/2 x 1" angle ) on open part . I seen that I can buy a stiffener ( yellow type ) on line for about 70.00 but I can't see spending 140.00 when I can do it for penny's.
Any thoughts please ?
Old 03-26-2017, 10:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i bent the upper mount on my cherokee, banged it out, put a piece of 1" square tube inside and welded it to the axle, then boxed the outside in.

found all my materials inthe scrap bin.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

What exactly are you trying to stiffen? The control arm itself? The control arm mounts?

"on open part" isn't very descriptive.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like hes trying to box in the open channel in the control arm.Sounds like a lot of work when you can just buy wj control arms that are already boxed in http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoWJcontrolarms.htm
Old 03-27-2017, 04:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

I do not recommend stiffening stock control arms, that's like putting a band aid on a bleeding artery. Return the stock replacements you bought and buy some inexpensive tubular arms. I've seen fixed length LCAs on Amazon for $80-100. I still have the stock UCAs on mine, haven't had issues with them. YET.

If you are referring to stiffening the axle mounts, get to it! Easy work. Get some cardboard and some 1/4" for LCA mounts and 1/8" for pass side UCA mount. Cut the cardboard to wrap around the pass UCA mount bracket from the tube up over the top of the bushing. Leave the UCA bushing in to tack up the metal, then pull it before you final weld it. Burning bushing is a mess. The LCA mounts can be stiffened with just a piece of 1/4 welded across them.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

if you are going through the trouble of welding on your stock arms...just do your self a favor and save for a few months and buy a set of engineered aftermarket arms. Your vehicle will thank you and you will already be steps ahead if you ever decide to lift it in the future.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:12 PM

Default Thanks guys.

I see that I wasn't clear as to what I want to do....... I bought a Moog suspension kit about 570.00 and it didn't include control arm so I ordered Moog control arms and they are of a thicker steel for sure compared to the OE like night and day, Being an X fabricator , looking at them on the bench I seen the weakest link being the distance from bottom to open end up so I thought a fab'd [ channel inserted & stitch welded would be the ticket although there is still a weak link even more pronounced at each end . So the round adjustable ones are the best way to go for sure. not gonna send the Moog's back because this Sport will never see off road by me unless someone runs me off the road ! .
Thanks for your help.
Peace
Old 03-28-2017, 05:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you don't intend to take the vehicle off road, leave the arms alone. They have worked on countless XJs for 25+ years in stock form. Only when you deviate from stock uses do you need to beef up the arms.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:13 PM

I agree with you.When I see something that could use improvement , I wanna fix it !
Old 03-29-2017, 07:13 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.Slow

Originally Posted by schism420
I agree with you.When I see something that could use improvement , I wanna fix it !
I have those tendencies as well but, the stock arms are adequate enough if you don't hard wheel and just light trail ride. They are designed to "twist" a little when the suspension flexes and not be as stiff as aftermarket arms as well. So if you mainly drive on road, you are fine as is with what you have.