Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

putting lift together help

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default putting lift together help

i wana put a 4 inch lift together what do i need besides what i list i have a 1993 2door xj inline 6 automatic np231 and i think c 8.25 planning on 31s thanks.

leaf springs, coils, brake lines?, sye?, track bar, shocks pitman arm? will a hack and tap work, controll arms. or any suggestions i was just gona find parts ffrom other cherokees i dont want a aal kit or blocks. maybe leafs and shackles idk thanks.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 I6 firepower ignition, cat-back w/ magnaflow muffler, poweraid tb spacer, optima blue top

You will have to get coil springs, leaf springs, shocks, brake lines, and lower control arms. An adjustable track bar is the best solution to keep the axle centered after a lift that big, there are other ways but i would stick to that. You don't have to get a sye, as you should be able to run a t-case drop. That all depends on your preference and cash flow. Lower control arms are not a necessity but will enhance the performance of your new suspension. You don't need the drop pitman arm. You'll get a better ride and more flex if you go with lift shackles and shorter leafs, as they have less arch.

And welcome to the forum.

Last edited by xj wheeler; 01-22-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:49 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6 firepower ignition, cat-back w/ magnaflow muffler, poweraid tb spacer, optima blue top

And, be sure to align it after the lift.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:48 AM

Year: 1988

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...udget_Lift.htm

This points you in the right direction for parts, if you are peicing together, but I STRONGLY suggest not using junkyard parts for a lift(or suspension). I pieced together mine, but used brand new parts, everything, Coils from a V8 GC, bought Leafs from Rustys because I was not dealing with trying to get my leafs apart to make a bastard pack, new isolators, new breaklines (for the rear, a YJ brakeline works perfect), relocate the front brake lines (i havent done that, but I have room), then eventually got LCA's on ebay, and DEFINATLEY get the ADJ Track Bar, and shocks. I got a set of 4 Rough Country shocks for 100 bucks on ebay..

Also, for the older jeeps, 1996 and prior, the SYE kind of is optional, and depends on the jeep. I put this ~4.5 lift on (4.5 in front 5 rear netted with new parts, less from worn parts) and I don't need a SYE.

Anyway, this site pretty much spells out how to put a lift together, and it works out much nicer for us people with older cherokees, as SYE's tend to get pricey. Good luck, and do a search about breaking the rear upper shock bolts. This will happen, and read so you are prepared for when it does happen. I was scared... and it turned out to be a super easy fix.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:04 PM

thanks for the info and nice jeep. but i heard tcase drop is bad for motor mounts or is there any oother negitves to it.also what about the sway bar.

Last edited by 93 2dr cherokee; 01-22-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:49 PM
CF Veteran

The t-case drop shouldn't have much affect on the motor mounts, i have been running one for seven years and no problems. The only real negative is the loss of ground clearance.

Good point with the sway bar, my bad, i completely forgot about that. If you have a rear sway bar you can rip that bad boy right out of there, most deem it useless. I felt it actually hurt my driveability, so i removed mine. For the front just get some disconnects made to fit your lift size.

You will also probably need bigger bumpstops.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:50 PM

if your asking me, then that is the point, no TC Drops or SYE's, and sway bars? are you asking about the sway bar links, I am technically still running stock, but am getting the rear swaybar links from a ford f-350. I don't do much off roading anymore, so quick disco's arent that important to me.

^Thats funny, me and XJ replied at about the same time. lol
Old 01-22-2012, 03:24 PM

its my daily driver weekend wheeler. so no sway bar on the back is ok and just get qiuck disconnects for the front.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I broke my quick dis-connect links offroading & haven't ran any in 6 months.It is my DD, & I have had no problems but I haven't towed anything with it yet.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:04 PM

The discos are what you haven't had in 6 months? A lot of people will say that one wrong turn, to sharp or to fast will spell disaster.

As for myself, i rode my wrangler without any, and never had a problem... it just made me lift one tire when going on a turn... Cops DO NOT like this. lol
Old 01-22-2012, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by CPLSeraphim
The discos are what you haven't had in 6 months? A lot of people will say that one wrong turn, to sharp or to fast will spell disaster.

As for myself, i rode my wrangler without any, and never had a problem... it just made me lift one tire when going on a turn... Cops DO NOT like this. lol
So it's alright to run no sway bar in back?And do I need to do anything to sway bar when I lift it or will it be fin for a while.also for the trackbar do I need a new bracket for it and someone said a new pitman arm.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Why not just visit the Vendor Showcase and get your lift there?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:00 PM

Vendor showcase?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L MPI V8 (318)

Originally Posted by xj wheeler
You will have to get coil springs, leaf springs, shocks, brake lines, and lower control arms. An adjustable track bar is the best solution to keep the axle centered after a lift that big, there are other ways but i would stick to that. You don't have to get a sye, as you should be able to run a t-case drop. That all depends on your preference and cash flow. Lower control arms are not a necessity but will enhance the performance of your new suspension. You don't need the drop pitman arm. You'll get a better ride and more flex if you go with lift shackles and shorter leafs, as they have less arch.

And welcome to the forum.

I've got a 94 Country edition with a 4.5" lift., stock brake lines, no T-case drop, no SYE, and no vibes or driveline problems. Coils, leaf packs, shocks, and a MOOG trac-bar with a lifetime warranty. Rides great, handles like its on rails. I also run no swaybar in the rear, or front.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 2dr cherokee
Vendor showcase?
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f10/

Quick Reply: putting lift together help