Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

put spacers and shackles to get 5", now running into problems...

Old 08-14-2011, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default put spacers and shackles to get 5", now running into problems...

so im not really knowledgeable about these things at all and i think i kinda screwed myself. i had a RC 3" lift on my cherokee with the upgraded LCA's. two weeks ago my friend told me he had coil spacers and drop shackles for cheap. so i bought em and put them in, drilled a hole 3/4" over in the track bar mount to move it over. really just hacked it together to go as cheap as possible... well now i have death wobble and the front tires are towed in pretty bad. so lesson learned, dont cheap out and dont hack, even on cherokees. what are my options now? before i moved the track bar 3/4 over, i brought it to a shop to have the front end aligned and they told me it needs ball joints, track bar bushings, tie rod ends, the works. i told them to pound sand im not going to pay them to do that. would i be best off to just take the spacers and shackles out and go back to 3", move the track bar back to stock. or, buy an adjustable track bar and do ball joints and tie rod ends myself? i dont really wheel this jeep hard its my dd when i cant drive my foxbody, so i just wanna fix it and get it back to being "reliable" and on the road. thanks all
Old 08-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.0 straight six

Id get a adjustable trackbar, get the worn out parts replaced, and then get a SYE or a tcase drop. BTW rough country has a scratch and dent section in there website and I found a adjustable trackbar in there for around $60 it's good for 4'' to 6'' of lift and there's nothing wrong with them there just a discontinued item.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:05 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 l 6

if you dont invest in all of those things now the DW will just get worse and worse
Old 08-14-2011, 01:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

Originally Posted by FLETCH
BTW rough country has a scratch and dent section in there website and I found a adjustable trackbar in there for around $60 it's good for 4'' to 6'' of lift and there's nothing wrong with them there just a discontinued item.
that's a heck of a deal! it has a flex style join on the frame side... so he might need a double shear bracket
Old 08-14-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0L

Well either way you're going to want to replace the parts.. might as well just do it. I would buy the adjustable track bar, then replace your ball joints and any other front end parts required for an accurate alignment. Get the jeep aligned and go from there.

For a while, I ran 2" spacers and 2" blocks on top of a 3" lift with zero problems. I had pro comp lcas and extended sway bar links from their 3" kit. Then i shimmed the rear axle. Put about 8k miles on it with zero problems till i switched up the suspension and did the sye.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

here is the tracbar being talked about its the old style TRE kind

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RCX-J...Q5fAccessories