Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulls hard left when braking. Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Pulls hard left when braking. Help

So all the tie rods were shot on my steering the jeep drove terrible I put new TREs on and aligned it as best as I could with a tape measure. The steering is fine but when I brake the truck pulls hard to the left. I had good spare calipers and put one on the Right (pass. Side) with the same pads and rotors. Still no difference. I noticed that there was fluid dripping from the right rear drum all over the tire. I bought a new wheel cylinder but when I went to put it I realized that the wheel cylinder is fine and the wheel seal is bad and gear fluid is all over the brake parts. Could this be a culprit? Could the gear oil causing the brakes to slip and making the truck pull right? I didn't even think the drums did much and the drum shoes are brand new both sides.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-26-2011, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are your pads and rotor on the front left? I would start there.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:58 PM
Seasoned Member

The pads are both thick and the rotors both have the same amount of grooves in them (I guess from wheeling) I bought longer shocks and flexed out the suspension big but I checked the brake line when it was flexed and still had room to go I read somewhere on collapsed brake lines I might put a stock line on tomorrow an give it a shot
Old 05-26-2011, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

This might seem senseless by of those cylinders were never changed do them. My rig use to do this to me same thing to the left. My right cylinder was lookin bad and then finally my left one went so I replaced both and now it doesn't happen.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Seasoned Member

I suppose I could give that a shot but it's a hard pull and feels like it would have to do with the front end could the drivers side caliper be the bad one that's the side it's pulling too. Also if my axle isn't completely centered under the truck could that cause it? Even though it looks pretty close. This is making me crazy
Old 05-26-2011, 11:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

sounds like maybe a sticky caliper
Old 05-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the truck pulls left when braking, then the brakes on the right are not doing their job, most likely in the front. the rear wouldnt be very noticeable.

check the RF caliper, make sure it hasnt siezed up. and bleed the brakes to make sure none of the lines are restricted.
start there and see what ya got.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by rompnXJ
if the truck pulls left when braking, then the brakes on the right are not doing their job, most likely in the front. the rear wouldnt be very noticeable.

check the RF caliper, make sure it hasnt siezed up. and bleed the brakes to make sure none of the lines are restricted.
start there and see what ya got.
I know my first post wasn't the written the clearest but that's what I did. I bought a front diff from someone and used the same calipers, pads, and rotors as he said everything was recently replaced and looked it. Since this problem ( today) I took one of my old calipers from the original differential, swapped it with the same pads, bled the brakes, and the problem remains. I am thinking it is something with the right rear drum that it covered in gear oil or the left front caliper has something going on. I have all the parts and tools i just need the time lol

If these two fixes don't work idk what else to check I know the master cylinder is proportional to front and rear so idk

Thanks
Old 05-27-2011, 12:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Well I've been doing some reading and a guy had a stuck right caliper causing right pull. It hit me and I have been smelling a strange burnt smell coming from the drivers side wheel area. I'm thinking that caliper is frozen and it wont back off. Wooo I hope this works