Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with coating flaking on Smittybuilt bumper. Any reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5
Default Problem with coating flaking on Smittybuilt bumper. Any reviews?

Guys n Gals; I apologize if this is in the wrong area but..
Wanted to know if anyone else has had problems with Smittybuilt bumpers flaking the coating off?

Wife and I purchased from 4Wheel Parts for my son as Christmas gift. It's a Smittybuilt front bumper for his '01 XJ sport and I wasn't home when It was delivered (was hidden in my shop though).
Didn't open it til Christmas morning and noticed that only poly-styrene ? was used for padding the eyelets in front. Kinda goofy if you ask me..
Well, these smashed through the padding and box exterior in transit making little holes that wasn't noticed until we opened the box and noticed the coating/wrinkle paint had flaked off where the damage was.
IF this coating is powder coating, they covered a black gloss paint with the wrinkle paint. (doesn't seem that durable to me..) The wrinkle coating wasn't on bare metal as it looks.
And everything has stopped in installing it because I don't know if this coating will chip/crack while installing the front duck bill, winch or even installing it.. And it's NOT even cold out (about 70* here)

Has anyone else had any peeling/flaking with these bumpers or parts?
Have to wait to contact 4Wheel Parts tomorrow to see what if anything can be done.

Thanks E
Old 12-25-2016, 04:58 PM

I've had the same bumper for two yèars, It does have some chipped/missing paint but only in spots were I've hit the bumper on rocks while wheeling. I wouldn't expect any type of coating to hold up to that kind of abuse. It sounds like the shipper wasn't very nice to bumper while it was in transit. I think 4wheel parts will be willing to help you out somehow.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:01 AM

WELL, it's NOT powder coating. It's just a CHEAP thick wrinkle paint
I stopped by the store front (4wheel parts) that I forgot had a store here.

They couldn't believe it either (so they say) and on the display shelves where other bumpers/accessories hang, there were other parts that DID HAVE POWDER COATING ON THEM. TOTALLY different feel and finish.

Whatever this paint/coating that they spray on before the wrinkle paint has a GLOSS finish (shiny black paint).
Well anyone that knows anything about painting knows that the substrate has to be roughed up or textured to give a "bite" to the top layer(s) to hold on to. In addition, I thought that powder coating goes straight on bare metal encapsulating it.

Sure, they said that they would order another in and exchange it for us but dang.. I've had other powder coated items that you would need a grinder or blaster to get it off. I grew up on a farm and know what it is to have stuff that sees abuse of a vehicle that weighs several thousand pounds bashing into things.. But in comparison, this is like the proverbial shopping cart in the parking lot hitting it..

It just shouldn't chip/flake off that easy. HECK, for the 650.00 that we spent I could've purchased the metal, welded up fr/rr bumpers AND sliders AND spare tire swing-out. But HE didn't want that..
Just not that happy with it's coating (and should have been AT LEAST 1/4 plate). It doesn't matter if the "D" ring attaching point is 3/4-1" metal 'tab', if the object that IT'S welded to can't hold it, It's gonna bend.. It's more just for show.

E
Old 12-27-2016, 02:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Ive heard very mixed reviews on SmittyBuilt lately, their quality has gone down hill. Glad they are getting it sorted out for you though.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Its a off road bumper its gonna get chewed up no matter the coating even powder coating won't handle the abuse.Find some paint that matches and touch it up and get use to doing that lol.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998 (buggy), 1998 DD

I've yet to ever see powder coating last in the world of 4x4.

I've strictly asked for parts that come normally powder coated to be send bare.

Powder coating, even the best, is nice when you want to keep it looking good at the mall, but just doesn't stand up offroad. One little chip, and that's all she wrote.

There's a reason why most guys prefer NOT to have their buggy chassis powder coated, and not just due to cost.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:56 AM
CF Veteran

I'm the same i rather use something i can touch up with a rattle can if i care how it looks.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:49 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

mine was chipped a few places because UPS dropped it......I just applied some semi gloss spray paint and carried on...YMMV
Old 12-29-2016, 04:50 AM
CF Veteran

They are made in china so who knows what the coating really is.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0l

I have the front and rear bumper and the coating is holding up pretty well. I have had them both for about a year and a half. Coating does come off if you drag it but not real issues. I don't think they are the best bumpers ever but they don't seem to do any thing wrong.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Theres a reason its known as $hitttybuilt
Old 12-30-2016, 09:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I bought one of the very first smittybilt bumpers for the XJ when it was released. I worked at a major aftermarket auto part wholesaler at the time and had the warehouse notify me when one finally came in. They naturally arrived in our California warehouse first so I had it shipped to our PA location. Most people would have been very upset with the way the bumper showed up. The packaging was mangled. Looked like it tumbled around the back of a semi across the country. Corners and shackle mounts poking through the box made it look like swiss cheese. Surprisingly the coating held up pretty well.

Fast forward 4ish years with plenty of wheelin and it's still doing pretty good. I have been able to literally peel pieces of the coating off though. I wasn't too happy with that but hey, it's not a show rig. VHT roll bar and chassis paint fixes that
Old 01-01-2017, 09:14 AM

Year: 1996 Heep XJ Country
Engine: 4.0

I've had a Smittybilt XRC front bumper on my XJ since last April. Have had no problems with the wrinkle coating flaking off. I have had some of it get ground off from rocks and bashing into trees at times tho. I just recoat the bad spots with Duplicolor truck bed coating from time to time.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:50 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Engine: 4.Slow

Originally Posted by rockosocko
I stopped by the store front (4wheel parts) that I forgot had a store here.

They couldn't believe it either

Sure, they said that they would order another in and exchange it for us but dang..
Well, this is going to be the best option for you. You stopped by one of their stores and they offered to make things right for you. Just take that deal or credit it twords another brand like the Hanson. Can't complain too much if they offered to make things right.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:48 AM

OH, I'm not complaining about their return policy. It's great and without an attitude like most places around here..

I'm just miffed that I tried to tell him we could build one but he JUST HAD TO HAVE THAT ONE! So, @ 650.00 for a bumper and stinger for a 4x4 one would think that it would have a more durable coating.

I'll be making mine from 1/4"+ thick 3" angle with a thick diamond tread top for my 81 Cherokee.

E