Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro tuning labs radiator Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Pro tuning labs radiator Install

I recently bought this for my 95 jeep Cherokee because it always is over heating when im on trails . It is only seems to keep cool when im moving fast enough for the wind to keep the temp down. The new one im gonna be installing has two electric fans . And the one on the right seems from the pic to be in the way of the big fan. Does it just tuck inside of it. Here is a pic of the one I got. Any help advice suggestions would be very helpful. Im gonna start taking it apart this weekend . I've not done this before by the way. . The two dam thing just sorta throwing me off. Thanks everyone
Old 06-01-2017, 02:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

You have a pic of those fans being used with the mechanical fan? In the instructions?
Old 06-01-2017, 02:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

People often delete their mechanical fan when converting to electrical fans.

Did you just buy this thinking you needed to upgrade your cooling system or did you troubleshoot and overhaul your cooling system first? This might not solve your problem and/or could have been solved cheaper and easier.

Advice: Flush this entire system out with chemical cleaner before replacing and do everything else while you're in there. A waterpump, thermostat hoses, and radiator cap are cheap parts and can easily be replaced with the radiator out. I did mine last weekend.

Also, be careful! radiators are fragile. Make sure to remove the rubber isolators from the top of them OEM rad and install on this one.

More advice: return that radiator while you still can. Cheap aluminum radiators are notorious for leaking after less than a year and that shotty electric fan setup is probably worse than factory.

Do you have a fan shroud?
Have you replaced your fan clutch?

Last edited by XJlimitedx99; 06-01-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:02 PM
CF Veteran

My understanding is that it takes a high dollar electric fan set up (read one that moves a lot of cfm of air) to even match the amount moved by the OEM mechanical fan let alone beat it.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by EZEARL
You have a pic of those fans being used with the mechanical fan? In the instructions?
no actually it didn't come with any instructions.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:00 PM
CF Veteran

"And the one on the right seems from the pic to be in the way of the big fan."

Ok. Miss understood you then. I've never seen or read here of anyone mentioning using the electric fans in conjunction with the mechanical one.

I'm going to +1 XJlimitedx99's post. An OEM cooling system operating at peak efficiency should be all you need. I recently revamped mine for around $250. My OEM rad side split.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
People often delete their mechanical fan when converting to electrical fans.

Did you just buy this thinking you needed to upgrade your cooling system or did you troubleshoot and overhaul your cooling system first? This might not solve your problem and/or could have been solved cheaper and easier.

Advice: Flush this entire system out with chemical cleaner before replacing and do everything else while you're in there. A waterpump, thermostat hoses, and radiator cap are cheap parts and can easily be replaced with the radiator out. I did mine last weekend.

Also, be careful! radiators are fragile. Make sure to remove the rubber isolators from the top of them OEM rad and install on this one.

More advice: return that radiator while you still can. Cheap aluminum radiators are notorious for leaking after less than a year and that shotty electric fan setup is probably worse than factory.

Do you have a fan shroud?
Have you replaced your fan clutch?
you got me . I just Willie nillie bought it without trying to flush the system. Thinking that no matter what that would fix it cuz I'll have all apart and I could flush the system after I put the new one in. I do have a shroud for the mech fan. I've replaced the thermostat recently. But have not replaced the water pump.the belt is pretty loud also always talking to me...think I should probably flush the system. And see what happens after that. I was thinking mabey I can even mabey use the new radiator but put just the one fan on the side like it is now.

Last edited by cycochill@gmail.com; 06-01-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:18 PM

Engine: 4.0L
Default Pro tuning lab radiator

I installed this radiator, I love it!
my jeep runs at 185. Heavy wheeling in the desser and it may creep up to 200 every now and again. I scrapped there 2 electric fan setup, the fans are weak and it's not enough CFM. You also need a shroud to pull the air through the whole radiator. I went with a dirtbound fan shroud and some (3) jeggs high performance sealed ball bearing curved blad fans. The setup is awesome! Here it is with the core support off, for visability. The pic was while I wired the fans up.
Here is the finished product
Old 06-01-2017, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by cycochill@gmail.com
you got me . I just Willie nillie bought it without trying to flush the system. Thinking that no matter what that would fix it cuz I'll have all apart and I could flush the system after I put the new one in. I do have a shroud for the mech fan. I've replaced the thermostat recently. But have not replaced the water pump.the belt is pretty loud also always talking to me...think I should probably flush the system. And see what happens after that. I was thinking mabey I can even mabey use the new radiator but put just the one fan on the side like it is now.
the stock electric fan is better than the ones in this kit.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:23 PM
CF Veteran

You running your XJ now? If so (and before tearing anything apart or replacing anything) the first thing I'd do is the flushing procedure described in post #26 on this link:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/tem...2/#post3228367

If you don't the history of your water pump and fan clutch they should be replaced. You can get an OEM style radiator for under $100. Eliminate your HCV(heater control valve). The $250 I spent also included a new belt and idler pulley. Otherwise I replaced everything except the heater core.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cycochill@gmail.com
no actually it didn't come with any instructions.
it's for a custom application it seems... it wouldn't come with instructions.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:30 PM
CF Veteran

XJeepCheep,
That set up cost a good bit more than what his rad costs? Not bashing just trying to affirm that a good electric fan set up will work but it's going to cost.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by EZEARL
XJeepCheep,
That set up cost a good bit more than what his rad costs? Not bashing just trying to affirm that a good electric fan set up will work but it's going to cost.
I agree I spent about 400$ but just saying I did use that radiator. I put a new belt, idler, hoses, and T stat also. I could only find plastic tank radiators and this one has aluminum tanks.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Sounds like his heating problem is more than a different radiator or even an OEM will fix by their selves.

As a side note aren't these 4.0 XJ's filled to the hilt under the hood?! Can't drop a straw down through.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:11 PM

So it sounds like I should try flushing out the cooling system really well. And mabey replace the clutch fan . And see what temp im crawling at at that point . When I get home I'll show you guys what it looks like in there. The electric fan on my Jeep is ran from the fan all the way to the fuse box. Some times the fuse blows and the radio and the fan stop working. Whoever put this together also has two led lights that run off the same dang cord. Yesterday I had to unplug it cuz I smelled rubber and felt under there and it was super hot melting the wire. The electric fan I also noticed isnt super in place. It seems to be put together with wood screws in places . I only paid 1800 for the jeep and I love it.just want to cool the thing down. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I really appreciate it. Im. it's a learning process