Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powertrax no-slip question

Old 11-25-2011, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Default Powertrax no-slip question

Hello everyone, long time lurker / first time poster here. First of all I would like to say thanks for the great website. I've learned a lot from the posters here.

Now on to my problem, I just finished installing a powertrax no-slip in the front of my xj. It ops checked good but when I pulled it out of the garage I heard a loud pop. I slowly drove it around the parking lot a bit and continued to hear / feel popping. From what I've read the no-slip will have some noise particularly during the break in period, however, it is significantly louder and more violent than what I am accustomed to from the lockrite I have in the rear. Has anyone else experienced this or is something wrong?
Old 11-26-2011, 12:35 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

you should be fine. i installed one in the front of my dad's xj a little while back and we were pretty concerned about how loud the banging/popping was, but after about 100kms of driving it pretty much went away. he's probably put on a good 1500kms now and it is completely silent.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:18 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

You used the term violent to describe what the locker was doing. That would lead me to believe somethings wrong.
Although I have no experience with installing one in the front, I have learned a bit about the one I have in the rear. I've had similar symptoms & noises from mine, first when I did'nt have everything lined up right on my initial install and broke one of the active spacers. Second when I got skinny pedal happy in Moab and came down real hard, once again breaking a spacer.
I'm thinking that might be what you have going on, its pretty common.
When installed correctly it should make almost no noise, the only time I hear mine is in corners if I'm on the gas it will make a thump thump thump sound as it disengages. Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Desert Rat
You used the term violent to describe what the locker was doing. That would lead me to believe somethings wrong.
Although I have no experience with installing one in the front, I have learned a bit about the one I have in the rear. I've had similar symptoms & noises from mine, first when I did'nt have everything lined up right on my initial install and broke one of the active spacers. Second when I got skinny pedal happy in Moab and came down real hard, once again breaking a spacer.
I'm thinking that might be what you have going on, its pretty common.
When installed correctly it should make almost no noise, the only time I hear mine is in corners if I'm on the gas it will make a thump thump thump sound as it disengages. Hope this helps.
Well that may be my problem now also. Within the next week I will be tearing mine down to see what is going on with it. It started making a loud popping and clunking noise also. I'm sure something is wrong in there. It's pretty harsh