Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Upgrade

Old 06-05-2015, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6
Default Power Steering Upgrade

I just saw that my power steering gear box is leaking fluid and would like to replace it. I have read some posts on upgrading to a 1999 Dodge Durango gear box and it seems to be that the only reason is to be able to withstand larger tires 35+. Someday I would like to have that size tires, but I digress. Can I just order a 1999 Durango gear box from www.rockauto.com (here: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=603&jpid=0) Is there a difference between with snow and without snow package? Is it really worth it?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-05-2015, 01:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by XcherokeeJ
I just saw that my power steering gear box is leaking fluid and would like to replace it. I have read some posts on upgrading to a 1999 Dodge Durango gear box and it seems to be that the only reason is to be able to withstand larger tires 35+. Someday I would like to have that size tires, but I digress. Can I just order a 1999 Durango gear box from www.rockauto.com (here: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=603&jpid=0) Is there a difference between with snow and without snow package? Is it really worth it?

Thanks in advance
The answer to that question is inside your noggin. Be honest, are you ever really going to go that big? Maybe, but probably not. Pop on a fresh one and add the spacer/brace while you have it off. Then pop on a steering box brace and you can handle a whole lot of tire and still use the stock box.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJSTSPC.html

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-st...-brace-xj.html
Old 06-05-2015, 01:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

If he needs a new one mine as well upgrade it, its a lil more $ and its bolt in so why not. Im almost positive you need the one without the snow package, But dont hold me to that. You can also look into Hydro assist, if you drill and tap your own box you can do it pretty cheap.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut
The answer to that question is inside your noggin. Be honest, are you ever really going to go that big? Maybe, but probably not. Pop on a fresh one and add the spacer/brace while you have it off. Then pop on a steering box brace and you can handle a whole lot of tire and still use the stock box. http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJSTSPC.html http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-st...-brace-xj.html
This.

Im in the same boat OP and i thought about doing the upgrade but really, it depends on your jeeps future plans. Im gonna go stock and DEF get the new spacer for sure. I just got 32 X 9.5 wide tires and the stock box handles them great
Old 06-05-2015, 02:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
This.

Im in the same boat OP and i thought about doing the upgrade but really, it depends on your jeeps future plans. Im gonna go stock and DEF get the new spacer for sure. I just got 32 X 9.5 wide tires and the stock box handles them great
But why replace something that has clearly already failed, with the same product. I did, and it was a stupid desicion. I couldve went with the durango box for like 20 bucks more. Though I dont beat my self down too much for it as i plan full hydro after I swap axles
Old 06-05-2015, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by PurpleToxin505
But why replace something that has clearly already failed, with the same product. I did, and it was a stupid desicion. I couldve went with the durango box for like 20 bucks more. Though I dont beat my self down too much for it as i plan full hydro after I swap axles
My jeep is an 01. My steering box is the original one. Pretty sure 14yrs is a good track record. But hey potato, potatoe, to each his own

Ps, the only reason my steering box started leaking was that my last adjusted tracbar failed causing the pitman arm to push on the output shaft of the steering box, breaking the seal. Thats where my leak is from. If i didn't drive 200 miles with a failing TB I would not need a new steering box

Last edited by sycoglitch; 06-05-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:15 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut
The answer to that question is inside your noggin. Be honest, are you ever really going to go that big? Maybe, but probably not. Pop on a fresh one and add the spacer/brace while you have it off. Then pop on a steering box brace and you can handle a whole lot of tire and still use the stock box.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJSTSPC.html

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-st...-brace-xj.html

Thank you so much. Makes perfect sense. This is what I am going to do. Just put a stock box back on, so no more leaks, and then in the future I can place the stabilizer on there.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 98
Engine: 6 cyl.

my 98 still has the orginal box w/ 140 k miles , still pushes 33's around off road w/ ease. i did the brace & the spacer bracket .
Old 06-05-2015, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

I'm still running my stock box with 38s and while it probably doesn't love it it works. I considered a Durango box but you loose a little bit of turning radius and mine needs all the help it can get.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:00 AM
CF Veteran

What I don't understand is why people seem to think the Durango box is an upgrade. The output bearing and shaft size are identical (goes to show why you can reinstall your pitman arm). What fails on the XJ steering box is that very same output bearing....
Old 06-09-2015, 10:04 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by s14unimog
What I don't understand is why people seem to think the Durango box is an upgrade. The output bearing and shaft size are identical (goes to show why you can reinstall your pitman arm). What fails on the XJ steering box is that very same output bearing....
bigger bore size. Apparently it is firmer. Ive heard both sides. Some people love it, some say they feel no difference. Me, im standing behind doing a stock box, with jcr HD spacer, or equivalent.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 98

Originally Posted by s14unimog
Has to be from a 4x4 v8 durango
Old 06-09-2015, 10:33 AM
CF Veteran

bigger bore size. Apparently it is firmer. Ive heard both sides. Some people love it, some say they feel no difference. Me, im standing behind doing a stock box, with jcr HD spacer, or equivalent.
Exactly, which does not improve what fails on the OE box.
That's what I'm running - stock remain and steel spacer.

Originally Posted by denverd1
Has to be from a 4x4 v8 durango
I've heard, but again that has no influence on the strength of the box where it's needed.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:21 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

i did the swap. i feel like the difference i felt was from having a new box that wasnt about to blow.

but i also up graded to a wj power steering pump and added a ps fluid cooler in the mix as well.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 w/ tupy head

My box has a small leak and I debated getting a Durango but after reading thread after thread ill stick to my stock replacement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering Upgrade