Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power to manual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Power to manual conversion

My power windows are going out and I was wondering how hard it is to convert from power windows and locks to manual. Are write ups? Has anyone ever done this? Can I get parts from the junk yard to do it? Also it's a 2000 2dr sport. Thanks for replys!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:09 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Your best bet would be to just buy a set of manual doors and just swap them out.... the door lock on a power lock door and manual door are the same minus the electronic switch by the mirror adjust keys..... I also have a 2000 2 door and I need replace my doors because my latch is ruined from the sagging door pins and I'm going to swap in some manual windows and make removable doors
Old 01-20-2013, 11:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

Originally Posted by 00exjay
My power windows are going out and I was wondering how hard it is to convert from power windows and locks to manual. Are write ups? Has anyone ever done this? Can I get parts from the junk yard to do it? Also it's a 2000 2dr sport. Thanks for replys!
Id just keep the power windows and fix them. How are they going out? Could just be the wires.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Passenger side works half the time but that's from the faulty window lock switch and drivers side rolls up very slow than when it's in the fully open or fully closed position it makes A loud clicking noise when it stops
Old 01-20-2013, 04:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

Originally Posted by 00exjay
Passenger side works half the time but that's from the faulty window lock switch and drivers side rolls up very slow than when it's in the fully open or fully closed position it makes A loud clicking noise when it stops
The passenger side is likely from wires not a switch (going thru this with my 99), you gotta cut open the plastic and check for severed or frayed wires.

The drivers side, well that the regulator, worm gear thing. There's a plastic piece that has "threads" so the worm gear can push it up, pull it down. The plastic wears out and starts skipping "threads". Id leave that window up for the time being, because eventually it will go the way my passenger window did, blow out those "threads" and your window will sit at the bottom of your door.

There is a relatively simple fix I found, you remove the window regualtor and worm gear aseembly, then you get the bracket off by bending tabs back. You slide it out, drill two small holes in it, then use cotter pins to wrap around the worm gear. I did it with great sucsess. Haven't had a problem since.

Ill google up and see if I can find the write up. It has pics and explains things better.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by DieselD

The passenger side is likely from wires not a switch (going thru this with my 99), you gotta cut open the plastic and check for severed or frayed wires.

The drivers side, well that the regulator, worm gear thing. There's a plastic piece that has "threads" so the worm gear can push it up, pull it down. The plastic wears out and starts skipping "threads". Id leave that window up for the time being, because eventually it will go the way my passenger window did, blow out those "threads" and your window will sit at the bottom of your door.

There is a relatively simple fix I found, you remove the window regualtor and worm gear aseembly, then you get the bracket off by bending tabs back. You slide it out, drill two small holes in it, then use cotter pins to wrap around the worm gear. I did it with great sucsess. Haven't had a problem since.

Ill google up and see if I can find the write up. It has pics and explains things better.
That would be extremely helpful as I know nothing about power windows ha