Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help! Very simple question about front locker...

Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Please help! Very simple question about front locker...

Before I make a big mistake.... If I have the np231, and it is in 2WD-HI, will I even notice a front auto-locker?

I have searched the threads, but I still can't seem to find an answer to that exact question. My XJ isn't exactly a daily driver, but I just want to make sure that I am not making a mistake by not saving for an air/electric locker for the front. The way I understand it is, unless I have the 4WD (part time) engaged, then the locker isn't receiving any power, and therefore will act like an open diff, is that correct?

Thanks in advance guys, I am about to purchase 2 spartan LBL's from RWKHause and I don't want to do the front if it is going to cause massive street handling issues.... would just use that money to buy something else cool from him!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: '00
Engine: 4.0

No you won't really notice it.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by shawn_00x
No you won't really notice it.
that's what I was thinking man.... and since the np231 is part-time, the only time I will really be engaging it is when I am on a loose surface, and then I will have full front traction... unless I am missing something, this will cover my needs... I have read a lot of guys have a lot of luck on trails/etc with the rear locked, then if needed, they put her into 4WD (part time) to get over the obstacle, then back into 2WD...
Old 04-24-2013, 09:40 AM

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by Motiv8er
that's what I was thinking man.... and since the np231 is part-time, the only time I will really be engaging it is when I am on a loose surface, and then I will have full front traction... unless I am missing something, this will cover my needs... I have read a lot of guys have a lot of luck on trails/etc with the rear locked, then if needed, they put her into 4WD (part time) to get over the obstacle, then back into 2WD...
Do you drive your jeep in the winter? Most people don't recommend them if you drive in snow, makes it hard to turn in 4wd. Just a thought.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

From what I've been seeing and from what I understand, it will be noticeable. Not sure if this is different on the 1992 models, but the auto-locker will still ratchet and click around turns to allow for the different wheel speeds in 2wd street driving. The only way it wouldn't is if you have unlockable hubs, or the vacuum-actuated 4wd system.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by ta2tony
Do you drive your jeep in the winter? Most people don't recommend them if you drive in snow, makes it hard to turn in 4wd. Just a thought.
I will drive it in snow, but probably very little... it is not a daily driver in the true sense of the word...
Old 04-24-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
From what I've been seeing and from what I understand, it will be noticeable. Not sure if this is different on the 1992 models, but the auto-locker will still ratchet and click around turns to allow for the different wheel speeds in 2wd street driving. The only way it wouldn't is if you have unlockable hubs, or the vacuum-actuated 4wd system.
I think your right about the ratcheting, and I am definitely good with that... I am more concerned about it effecting the steering when in 2WD... and to answer the other issue, I don't have warn hubs, and I don't believe my 92 has the vac-activated system... could be wrong on that though.....
Old 04-24-2013, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

I'm somewhat late with this question, but did you apply anything other than the paint after you cut your fender (I'm talking only the horizontal cut right under the bezel, not the whole fender around the tire)? I'm about to do the same thing, but not sure about how to go about preventing it from rusting (bedliner?).

Great build btw! Can't wait for the lift.

Last edited by Cane; 04-24-2013 at 10:50 AM.