Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PaintIng dash

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default PaintIng dash

So I redid the interior and painted my plastics Camo and my headliner is mossy oak fabric and my doors are done in the same fabric. Only thing left is my ugly red dash. Any tips on how to spray it. What paint to use? Or should I wrap it in Camo fabric?
Old 01-19-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

You may be able to do the same thing I did to my plastic grocery cart bumpers, that run on the doors (I don't know what they are really called...) I'm sure the had amorall on them many time in their life.

First buy a bottle of rubbing alcohol, the strongest you can get percentage wise. Get a clean rag and with both door and window open, soak the rag, and then rub the heck out of the dash, Hard.

Then do it again, seriously.

I would really watch the airvents, and do them with a cuetip.

Then, if you haven't already-romove the dash. If you don't want to do that, man, you have A LOT of taping, and plastic sheeting to do. plus your Jeep will smell like paint forever. Just remove it.

Wipe it down AGAIN with alcohol, make sure it is somewhere it can dry, without an unatural heat source.

Use Comet on a wet green 3M pad and scrub the daylites out of the dash.

Wash the dash really good with car wash soap (or dish soap) and water. let it dry.

Last but not least, do two LIGHT coats of Krylon Black paint. Satin or Gloss (I used gloss, and it looks like I have Armorall ON all the time, but I only painted the bumper trim remember). Let it dry at least a day.

I've had mine on 6 months so far,It's perfect! Even bumped it a few time and cringed because I thought it was going to chip-NOPE! This stuff, when PROPERLY PREPPED I a factory look for plastic. No, I didn't use primer either.

You can use the same technic to paint wheels (I did), they look equally as good! Good luck!
Old 01-20-2012, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wrapped my doors, headliner in Mossy oak. I also painted all my trim OD green. All I had left was my dash. I pulled my dash and cleaned (Like Vincenza V was saying) I didn’t use the Comet though. Maybe that is why it did not come out to my liking. I ended up cleaning all the paint back off. I then order Mossy Oak "eyelet" fabric and wrapped the whole dash in it. The tricky part was getting the fabric in all the crevices around the air vents, and getting all the wrinkles out of the fabric. I loved it though and well worth the time. If I can find some pics I will post them for ya. I have since sold that seep and have moved on to a new victim. LOL

Last edited by GriffsXJ; 01-20-2012 at 06:28 AM.