Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overheating on beach. cooling upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default overheating on beach. cooling upgrade?

I spend most of my time crusing up and down the beach that I grew up at going fishing and booze crusing. Any way I have a 1988 mj 4.0 with the closed loop system and If I crusie around the beach in 2wd It starts to get in between normal and overheating, putting it in 4x4 helps and lowers the temps because Its not having to work as hard to get through the sand but still have gotten hot in some soft sand. However I can cruse around town and sit at a idle all day long and for the most part stay under normal, but thats as off right now in 80 degree heat. I live in texas and It gets HOT, so I dont know how the truck runs in 110 degree heat yet. I was looking at dirt bound offroads triple electric fan kit. however from what I have heard the stock mechanical fan puts out around 4000 cfm with is what dirt bounds kit does also. I guess what Im looking for it was is my best cheapest way to beef up the cooling. I already am In the works for adding louvers but am not sure if that is going to be enough.

Here is the truck

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  81.8 KB
Old 03-21-2012, 01:12 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder

If I were u I would check and make sure your mechanical fan clutch hasn't warn out and then drain the system and put some really good high grade antifreeze in
Old 03-21-2012, 01:20 PM
CF Veteran

How do I see if it is warn and is there a brand and type of antifreeze that u suggest?
Old 03-21-2012, 01:33 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by zebvance
How do I see if it is warn and is there a brand and type of antifreeze that u suggest?
Stick a rolled up magazine in the mechanical fan while it's running and if it stops spinning then replace the fan clutch and I just used pure antifreeze instead of the watered down junk just use any good 15dollar antifreeze from a auto parts store
Old 03-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 97

pure antifreeze is a terrible idea, 50/50 is the way to go and even ad some water wetter if you don't mind spending the money. i would flush the system out really well, i have found that 90% of jeeps overheating problems are caused by there small cooling system. restoring it with fresh antifreeze helped a ton with mine. not to say the fan isn't the problem, i just would lean toward the problem being old coolant.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

Originally Posted by stev-o
Stick a rolled up magazine in the mechanical fan while it's running
I would advise not doing this^. With the engine warm, turn it off, let it set for 5ish minutes, with engine OFF, spin the fan it should be fairly tight to turn, if it spins freely, then replace it. X2 on the flush of the system, also maybe look into converting to open system. You can convert the closed system to open without replacing your radiator by using the fill cap from a 4.7 durango or dakota, cutting it into your upper hose, and replace your bottle with an MJ overflow tank or any that fit. Then cap off or eliminate the T'ed lines in the heater core.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by fishtaconc

I would advise not doing this^. With the engine warm, turn it off, let it set for 5ish minutes, with engine OFF, spin the fan it should be fairly tight to turn, if it spins freely, then replace it. X2 on the flush of the system, also maybe look into converting to open system. You can convert the closed system to open without replacing your radiator by using the fill cap from a 4.7 durango or dakota, cutting it into your upper hose, and replace your bottle with an MJ overflow tank or any that fit. Then cap off or eliminate the T'ed lines in the heater core.
Well what if he wants to keep his heater core functional
Old 03-21-2012, 08:09 PM
CF Veteran

Well what if he wants to keep his heater core functional
Delete the Heater control valve, they did it on the later XJs anyways
Old 03-21-2012, 08:19 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

If you end up trying everything else, you can try pulling out all the freeze plugs.

This will let you clean out the block's water jacket. I use a wire hanger & a garden hose, to get all the rust & junk out of there.

If it does have rust buildup, it will certainly run cooler after it is removed.

I recommend using new brass replacement plugs.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999.
Engine: 4.0, I6

why not just upgrade his clutch fan to a taurus electrical fan.. hood vents... cold air intake.. these are more or less mods to help rather then looking into the issue itself.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:31 PM
CF Veteran

The clutch is not slipping, I will try to flush the system though. and there is no air in it and the radiator is not clogged to my knowledge. But like I said I run pretty cool around town and idialing, and down the high way. Prob at about 180. its only when its under a heavy load going about 15 mph.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

How about the fan shrouds, these are the most overlooked items, I'm guilty myself.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:21 PM
CF Veteran

No cracks or anything wrong with it.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

Could possibly give it Hood vents to allow the extra heat to escape. I have Hood vents but I cover them wen it rains
Old 03-22-2012, 07:07 PM
CF Veteran

Stick a rolled up magazine in the mechanical fan while it's running and if it stops spinning then replace the fan clutch and I just used pure antifreeze instead of the watered down junk just use any good 15dollar antifreeze from a auto parts store
Uhh what? Are you serious?

If you're in texas you really have no use for any anti-freeze really. I'd suggest a 80/20 mixture of water/antifreeze as antifreeze has very poor cooling properties, its the WATER that helps cool, the antifreeze is just there to do as its name implys. And not Tap water... buy the stuff from the part store so it doesnt rust your system. If you just read the back of the damn bottle it would tell you this, please dont lead the OP along this path.

As for the solution to the issue I'd suggest flushing, putting the proper mixture that i detailed above and then making sure your efan is coming on at the right temp. Also try those hood vents. Between those three things I think you'd be good. And btw its the Ford Taurus fan that you want. Google it.

Last edited by OttawaXJ; 03-22-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Quick Reply: overheating on beach. cooling upgrade?