Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

over 3" lift question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default over 3" lift question

Hi i am new to the forum. I have a 1998 xj. I got new BFG ATs 235 75 r15. And when i got them i had the tire place put on new rims since i was opening a credit card anyways. On my way home found that they would rub. They had put off set rims and they stick out a bit. But i like the look.

So i decided to get a 2" budget lift to give me a little room. Had a mechanic put it on since i was sick that week. He left the front stock hat on and so now it sits higher in the front about 3" in the front and 2"(shackle) lift in the back. I wouldn't mind beefing up my rear with an add a leaf because some times i pull a trailer. And i cant afford a whole new set of leafs right now.

My question is will a 3" lift in the front and a 3 1/2" in the back make me have to shim my axle or lower my xfer case etc. Or do you think i will be fine by just adding a 1.5" leaf. And do they settle?

Right now i have no vibes, it rides nice. Just would like a little more lift and strength in the rear.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

If your going to lift, save and do it right. You'll hate the add a leaf. As far as vibrations, it depends on the jeep. Some do some don't at 3 inches.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:24 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: Renix 4.0

If on a budget, you may consider getting Crown Auto heavy duty rear leaf springs. You'll also need bushings, which are easy to press in. Much better than add-a-leafs and will get you by while you research/save for a more complete/apropriate lift system.

On my '96 with stock shackles. Just the springs gave me appx 2" lift over stock height:

Old 02-24-2017, 09:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

I personally like the look of a front lower than rear rake!
I agree with ElMartillo. These Crown leafs will give you around an inch lift.
I've got them on my XJ.

Amazon Amazon