Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

options for snorkel

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 04:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default options for snorkel

I was about to order this - http://amzn.to/2zCRooO - but it wants to route the air duct right through where my windshield wiper fluid tank is inside the fender. ('97 xj 4.0)

Any better options out there? How about a universal one that needs the hole in the fender closer to the A pillar or something. Or get one for the passenger side and route the air duct over the engine or something?
Old 12-28-2017, 12:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Any fender mount snorkel mounts the same as that one.The other option is a cowl intake which to me is a better option.The fender snorkel to me would be something id get hung on a tree or ripped off on one.And you have to do a lot of water proofing and raising up every vent on the trans the t case and both axles before water crossing.And if you was in water that deep your jeep is gonna float and your screwed.The cowl intake is this https://store9974117.ecwid.com/Chero...lter-p85185327 It can act like a snorkel to a point but once water is fully over your hood your screwed and floating.If water slashes on the hood its fine with a cowl intake.The cowl vent has drains in it and the intake is centered in it so it won't suck up water.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Yes I understand that a snorkel is overkill and water will never get above the hood as I'll probably be floating at that point, plus now water is getting into places it really shouldn't like the ecu, t-case and diff breather hoses, distributor, etc.

And yes I also know that a cowl intake is a great option

Reason I'm interested in the snorkel is quite simple really: Mainly I want it for the rammed cold air effect. If the added HP from the rammed cold air makes up for the decreased aerodynamics then it would be worth it. And it's ****ing insanely cheap, $50, so like the same price if I DIY'd a cowl intake, which wouldn't have as much of a rammed cold air effect. And I think snorkels look cool.

The fact that a snorkel could get wrecked by a tree is a problem though. But then why are snorkel on virtually all the "overland" rigs?

Also, a well-placed limb deflector can take care of that problem:

Last edited by mannydantyla; 12-28-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

The price is awesome compared to others... Coming from another snorkel owner for the cherokee, i think it is mostly an individual thing. I came from Miami where their are not that many water crossings but i thought it would be cool to have one. I got it, installed it, and have never had the water rise any higher than my fender. It breaks necks while driving down the road so i can not complain.

Now that being said, snorkels do not add any horsepower or torque. I forgot who told me this some time ago but every time the air from outside needs to make a turn to get to the engine. Your actually losing power, that is why most cars that are fast will have a straight, or straightest path to the throttle body/ intake.

I have had my snorkel for over 3 years and have been in all types of weather, not too much overlanding but i can say it has no cracks or deterioration.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:55 AM
CF Veteran

The cowl intake will suck up cooler air just like a snorkel does,The reason you see a snorkel on over landers is not really water its more for sand.Its up higher then a stock intake so driving in sand less is kicked up to the top of the snorkel.And the snorkels intake has a pre filter on it and the heads design to let water drain out so will any sand that gets in.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:03 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

There are specific snorkels for the ChryCo body styles but honestly, I second the T.H.O.R. cowl system for your usage.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:44 AM
CF Veteran

Something i forgot to add,In Aus semis and normal cars run snorkels for the sand in the outback.