Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optimum Transmission Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Optimum Transmission Cooling

Hey guys just got my new 33's (33 1250 mtrs with Kevlar) which I am totally diggin but until I get new gears runnin with my little 3.55's I want to make it as easy on my rig as possible so what would be the best way to get the tranny at the best temp? Running it through the radiator then into the cooler or just cancel out the radiator and straight to the tranny cooler? I read that the purpose of the running it into the radiator is more for warming up the tranny in cold conditions than cooling it? What are your thoughts?
Old 05-31-2013, 07:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Siever_93
Hey guys just got my new 33's (33 1250 mtrs with Kevlar) which I am totally diggin but until I get new gears runnin with my little 3.55's I want to make it as easy on my rig as possible so what would be the best way to get the tranny at the best temp? Running it through the radiator then into the cooler or just cancel out the radiator and straight to the tranny cooler? I read that the purpose of the running it into the radiator is more for warming up the tranny in cold conditions than cooling it? What are your thoughts?
I haven't done it yet but it's my next project. I'll be completely eliminating the stock cooler and lines.

You replace the fittings on the side of the transmission. Run rubber/hard lines up to the front to the cooler.

Much cleaner. While you're at it splice in a temp gauge.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Definitely do a temp gauge as suggested. And I deleted my factory cooler. Definitely runs much cooler that way. I don't have the problem of running too cold, being in Socal and all. Where do you live? I'm on the app and can't see that
Old 06-01-2013, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
Definitely do a temp gauge as suggested. And I deleted my factory cooler. Definitely runs much cooler that way. I don't have the problem of running too cold, being in Socal and all. Where do you live? I'm on the app and can't see that
I'm located in delta Ohio about 30 min from Toledo
Old 06-01-2013, 10:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

Originally Posted by Siever_93

I'm located in delta Ohio about 30 min from Toledo
In that case I would leave it running through the radiator and put your cooler on the tranny return line.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.o

Eliminate the poor flowing, poor cooling radiator cooler. Running through the radiator does not help in keeping it from getting too cold in winter, it only helps with getting the temp up to running temp faster you can do the same thing by manual shifting the trans and holding shifts longer if you feel it's necessary.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

I would just run to a stand alone cooler. Mount it where it fits/works for you.
Get adapter fittings for your trans to run AN style fittings. Run hard/soft lines as you like.
Definitely install a temp gauge/ sender.
I saw something pretty awesome in a trans cooler write up (on naxja, I believe). The person ran 2 "tee" valves with a bypass so you could flush/clean out the cooler. Also with this, had 2 sensors for the temp gauge. One on each side of the cooler lines, so inlet/outlet, with a toggle switch.
The main temp you want is from the output on the trans which is the front. What the switch allows you to do is see the temp of the output and return so you can see the efficiency of the cooler basically.