Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old issue, still persists... any help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Old issue, still persists... any help?

Heya fellow XJ'ers!

So I have this issue that has persisted for a very long time. Its driving me CRAZY! I have addressed it many times but since it doesn't seem to have any ill effects mechanically I just let it go and come back to it when I get bored... I'm bored. LOL

Yes I've checked the forum but found nothing that is about this type of issue.

I will start with a question. Does anyone have any experience with Tom Woods driveshafts? I know this is totally open ended and all about personal experience, but it's relevant.

I have a driveline vibration, have had since I lifted my XJ a couple years ago. Starts at 50-55mph, gets most pronounced at around 65mph and smooths just a bit at 70-75mph (but is still most definitely present)

It's a modest 3-3 1/2" Rubicon lift, with an SYE and a fore mentioned Tom Woods drive shaft. 31" tires, Jeep unlimited 15" rims, just an average wheelin, fishin, camping XJ.

I have:
-pulled front shaft and driven, no change.

-removed the Tom Woods hack and tap SYE and replaced with better one (advance adapters if I remember correctly)

- Tried every driveline angle configuration possible, ALL of them (wedges, transfer drop, shims, spacers, etc.)

-Sent both front and rear driveshafts to local driveline shop to be rebuilt and balanced.
NOTE: I don't know the procedure they use for balancing, I did notice the slip yoke boot had not been disturbed and I know for a fact something can look balanced on machine and still be bent, I've done it with car rims at the shop.

-Swapped rims, tires, brake drums, etc. (no change)

-Replaced rear pinion yoke w/ new when I changed my gears to 4.10's

And some other things that I won't bother typing cause they didn't work either.
One thing I have noted is that when I lift my XJ on the shop lift, after I set it back down, the vibration changes for a short time. It just feels different but is still there and sometimes changes at what speeds it is most pronounced i.e. starts at 60-65mph instead of 50-55mph.
However, it soon returns to it's "normal" state after the suspension has had a chance to settle back in.

As a last note... cause I know someone will ask, there are no leaks! I don't "do" leaks and there are none. NO rear pinion seal, transfer tail housing seal, or otherwise.

Well there's my book, sorry that was so long, just hoping someone out there has experienced something similar so I can compare notes and maybe solve this mystery.

Thanks for reading, and if I find it I will most certainly post results

Jeep on!
Stitch65
Old 12-29-2016, 01:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I will be watching for replies also. SAME issues. 242TC with SYE. Vibes at 55-70 then they go away. Also droning at 60-65 when on the gas. Rear pinion angle appears correct on mine also. If I remove the rear driveshaft and drive around in 4HI it's great/quiet. So my issue is rear DS related..

I will mess with mine this weekend if I get time. If I find anything I will post for sure. I have access for some more front shafts and will mix-n-match..

Last edited by diskman; 12-30-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee

Have you done what diskman did and removed your rear shaft and drove it in 4HI?