Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ok i need a suspension that can give me the MOST TRAVEL..

Old 10-29-2012, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default ok i need a suspension that can give me the MOST TRAVEL..

ok guys as the tittle says.. im not to fan of lift it self but if needed 4"-6" should be more than suficient...

and as for shocks were going with Kings or FOX(trying to convice her to get http://radflo.com) since they are cheaper..

thanks for the input guys...
Old 10-29-2012, 07:11 PM

How much of that $$$$$ are you willing to spend?
Old 10-29-2012, 07:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most you are going to get out of your stock control arms is around 10 inches. To get more you have to either get lca drop brackets or long arms.

Then you still will need to lift it. Problem I ran into is there is not enough room for a long travel shock, as in 12in or over. You either have to use a long arm and lift or re locate your upper shock mounts. I have extended bumps by 1.25IN and I have to do this in order to keep my shock from bottoming out. IF you went with a 14in travel shock then you would need a lot more bump stop. Unless you had custom upper shock mounts.

My experience anyways.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You can get a ton of travel with no lift at all. Its all in the components you use and how you set it up.

Whats this for? What size tires are you running? Go fast? Rockcrawling?
Old 10-29-2012, 07:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...-NP231J-T-case
Old 10-29-2012, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by greenxj21
How much of that $$$$$ are you willing to spend?
not sure but the shocks are going to be some $$ so migth as well go good the first time and avoid any wifes *****ing moments..
Originally Posted by holycaveman
The most you are going to get out of your stock control arms is around 10 inches. To get more you have to either get lca drop brackets or long arms.

Then you still will need to lift it. Problem I ran into is there is not enough room for a long travel shock, as in 12in or over. You either have to use a long arm and lift or re locate your upper shock mounts. I have extended bumps by 1.25IN and I have to do this in order to keep my shock from bottoming out. IF you went with a 14in travel shock then you would need a lot more bump stop. Unless you had custom upper shock mounts.

My experience anyways.
thanks for that input..

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
You can get a ton of travel with no lift at all. Its all in the components you use and how you set it up.

Whats this for? What size tires are you running? Go fast? Rockcrawling?
ok we do Baja racing so going fast in desert... does that makes sense. no rockcrawling at all.. and the tires would be a 15"-16" rims not sure on the tires yet. but that idea of longer travel with out a lift sounds very good and interesting..
Old 10-29-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by El Mamito USMC
not sure but the shocks are going to be some $$ so migth as well go good the first time and avoid any wifes *****ing moments..
thanks for that input..

ok we do Baja racing so going fast in desert... does that makes sense. no rockcrawling at all.. and the tires would be a 15"-16" rims not sure on the tires yet. but that idea of longer travel with out a lift sounds very good and interesting..
Ok well if you want to get some flex and don't care about money, then go with Clayton 6.5" long arm lift with their rear coil conversion kit (ill post links). Otherwise go with claytons 4.5 or 6.5 long arm lift or go with a rubicon express long arm lift if Clayton is too much money.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by greenxj21
Ok well if you want to get some flex and don't care about money, then go with Clayton 6.5" long arm lift with their rear coil conversion kit (ill post links). Otherwise go with claytons 4.5 or 6.5 long arm lift or go with a rubicon express long arm lift if Clayton is too much money.
dont get me wrong , i do care about the $ but i want a GOOD kit not something that ill install and the first test in "LA Salada" http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...6CO-6Uslh62__A the truck is going to break on us... thanks for the help

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.com
thanks for the link and ill have to remove the shocks from that kit since were going with Fox or Kings
Old 10-29-2012, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by El Mamito USMC

dont get me wrong , i do care about the $ but i want a GOOD kit not something that ill install and the first test in "LA Salada" http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...6CO-6Uslh62__A the truck is going to break on us... thanks for the help

thanks for the link and ill have to remove the shocks from that kit since were going with Fox or Kings
Ok well the one serious off road showed you is a good kit to go with.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

r u just installing a lift and then going racing? what axles are you running? roll cage? brake upgrades? just curious...