Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, got some new wheels. Lift is next. Advice?

Old 11-21-2011, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Ok, got some new wheels. Lift is next. Advice?

Went with Jegs D Windows (as you can see).

backspacing was obviously different than the stock Sport wheels, so the tires sit out a bit farther... is that anything to worry about as far as bearings and stuff goes?

Now I'm going to go with a 2" lift. I don't want anything major since this is my DD and I don't do any major wheeling.

What goes into a 2" lift? I know I need new rear springs, they're kinda sagging. What all else will I need in order to bring her up 2 inches?
Old 11-21-2011, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 77olds

Went with Jegs D Windows (as you can see).

backspacing was obviously different than the stock Sport wheels, so the tires sit out a bit farther... is that anything to worry about as far as bearings and stuff goes?

Now I'm going to go with a 2" lift. I don't want anything major since this is my DD and I don't do any major wheeling.

What goes into a 2" lift? I know I need new rear springs, they're kinda sagging. What all else will I need in order to bring her up 2 inches?

Looks good. What backspacing did you go with? I had 3.75" on my last Jeep and my bearings didnt seem to wear any faster or anything. You should be fine.

Most 2" lifts are just a front spacer and rear shackle, or a rear add a leaf. If your stock leaf packs are sagging i would suggest building a small bastard pack(search it theres a ton fo threads on it ono this site) or buy some 2" leaf packs new from a suspension company. I know Quadratec has some on their site, so does Old Man Emu.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keaton
Looks good. What backspacing did you go with? I had 3.75" on my last Jeep and my bearings didnt seem to wear any faster or anything. You should be fine.

Most 2" lifts are just a front spacer and rear shackle, or a rear add a leaf. If your stock leaf packs are sagging i would suggest building a small bastard pack(search it theres a ton fo threads on it ono this site) or buy some 2" leaf packs new from a suspension company. I know Quadratec has some on their site, so does Old Man Emu.
So there's no other mods needed really to go up just two inches, right? I wouldn't think 2 inches would be enough to require a different slip yoke or steering set up, but this is my first off-road vehicle, I've been a classic car guy my whole life
Old 11-21-2011, 07:04 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4L Renix

i lke that you have the while letter side out i think they need to bring that back more .
Old 11-22-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by 77olds

So there's no other mods needed really to go up just two inches, right? I wouldn't think 2 inches would be enough to require a different slip yoke or steering set up, but this is my first off-road vehicle, I've been a classic car guy my whole life
2 inches wont require anything additional. Stock control arms, steering etc should all be fine. The newer XJ's (97-01) tend to be more prone to vibes but at only 2" you shouldn't get any vibrations. Every Jeep is different though.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Look like 31's? A 2" BB will suffice, if ya got the money around 900 for the lift alone, old man emu sells a 2" full lift kit, but for that money you can get a good 3.5" kit and some like 2-3* axle shims and a 1" TC drop...