Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Roading musts

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Off Roading musts

What are some key off roading parts.
thank you.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

Simple search will get you alot of answers. But first things should be making sure u have a recovery point(s), tow straps, first aid, safety equipment, shovel, axe, etc.. Then some other things to look into are skid pkates, diff guards, a good set of tires, then lift, bumpers, armor etc...
Old 05-29-2011, 07:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

when in doubt...throttle out
Old 05-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: Inline 6

Originally Posted by N20jeep
when in doubt...throttle out
amen brother!!!
no but seriously if you can afford it try and get a bubba rope. saved my butt who knows how many times. look them up, you wont be sorry. i have had bad luck with tow straps and all i carry now is my bubba rope. hope this helped man.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:42 PM
CF Veteran

Also stay away from any towstraps with metal hooks.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:59 PM

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

To add to the list, you need a friend to go wheeling with ya. Never wheel alone. You also need to have a good attitude and keep the trails clean. Don't litter and pick up after yourself to keep trails open.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jbetit
To add to the list, you need a friend to go wheeling with ya. Never wheel alone. You also need to have a good attitude and keep the trails clean. Don't litter and pick up after yourself to keep trails open.
X2
Old 05-29-2011, 08:12 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

X3!!!!
Old 05-29-2011, 08:15 PM

Year: 1989

Agree yet disagree. Traveling a well used trail alone during the day with all the needed supplies to get threw a night or two out in case of breakdown is ok in my book. Again WELL used trails. Under no circumstance take a trip into the desert on a rarely used trail.

This maybe better advice in some areas than others but around here the trails are relatively short and could be walked out if need be. These trails also have a steady flow of users all day everyday. This said a friend with in the same vehicle may provide some well needed sanity in the event of a breakdown.

As far was what to bring with: Spare axle shafts for all corners, spare drive shafts front and rear. And enough tools to completely disassemble you rig on the trail. Along with fluids and recovery gear.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by outkast

Agree yet disagree. Traveling a well used trail alone during the day with all the needed supplies to get threw a night or two out in case of breakdown is ok in my book. Again WELL used trails. Under no circumstance take a trip into the desert on a rarely used trail.

This maybe better advice in some areas than others but around here the trails are relatively short and could be walked out if need be. These trails also have a steady flow of users all day everyday. This said a friend with in the same vehicle may provide some well needed sanity in the event of a breakdown.

As far was what to bring with: Spare axle shafts for all corners, spare drive shafts front and rear. And enough tools to completely disassemble you rig on the trail. Along with fluids and recovery gear.
I sorta agree on this, I feel that unless u are going down a trail that is equal to a dirt road, then you can go by urself but if it comes to any mud crossing/deep water crossing or any tight spots were u would become stuck dont go alone, and its,always important to walk the trail before fully venturing on it. And any tight spots its good to have a spotter and if u wheel without another buddy in another rig atleast have a buddy in ur rig with you. And that being said, if u wheel alone dont do anything you know u cant handle or think you cant get through
Old 05-29-2011, 08:26 PM

OUTKAST:
Yes, but a well used trail has people on it to help out if needed. I agree, wheeling and breaking all go hand and hand. I have fixed my fair share of broken stuff on the trail. It does make for a good time and good stories, but if it weren't for a few helping hands, I would have been on the trial broken down for a longer period of time and holding everyone behind me up. That would not be cool or fair to them.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:30 PM
CF Veteran

Yes, but a well used trail has people on it to help out if needed. I agree, wheeling and breaking all go hand and hand. I have fixed my fair share of broken stuff on the trail. It does make for a good time and good stories, but if it weren't for a few helping hands, I would have been on the trial broken down for a longer period of time and holding everyone behind me up. That would not be cool or fair to them.
Well if ur wheeling on a well used trail, were there are always ppl on it then in a way ur really not wheeling alone. Theres trails around here that are rlly easy but if I broke down out there, I wouldnt see another rig for a week or more, may see a atv. But it'd be a while
Old 05-29-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by jeepxj19
I sorta agree on this, I feel that unless u are going down a trail that is equal to a dirt road, then you can go by urself but if it comes to any mud crossing/deep water crossing or any tight spots were u would become stuck dont go alone, and its,always important to walk the trail before fully venturing on it. And any tight spots its good to have a spotter and if u wheel without another buddy in another rig atleast have a buddy in ur rig with you. And that being said, if u wheel alone dont do anything you know u cant handle or think you cant get through
VERY VERY true! A spotter has saved my butt numerous times. A spotter can see things you as a wheeler cannot. A spotter can save you broken parts. I am not saying that if you have a spotter, you are not going to break, but in having a spotter, it is a huge help on certain obstacles.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:34 PM
CF Veteran

VERY VERY true! A spotter has saved my butt numerous times. A spotter can see things you as a wheeler cannot. A spotter can save you broken parts. I am not saying that if you have a spotter, you are not going to break, but in having a spotter, it is a huge help on certain obstacles.
Yea i totally agree, I actually had an idea of installing a "rock cam" by getting a small back up camera and monitor and install it somewere up front underneath facing backwards so I can see my front diff and see if im coming close to anything
Old 05-29-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by jeepxj19
Yea i totally agree, I actually had an idea of installing a "rock cam" by getting a small back up camera and monitor and install it somewere up front underneath facing backwards so I can see my front diff and see if im coming close to anything
Ha ha that would be different but cool! You would also be able to see different lines better.

Also to the original post, didn't realize it was your first post. So welcome man! Glad to see you joined.

Quick Reply: Off Roading musts