Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd brake light situation

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4l
Default Odd brake light situation

Well, my original brake light "blew out" one day so today I bout these led replacements

Odd brake light situation-image-807317167.jpg

...come to find out there was nothing wring with the original bulb at all. The brake light just wasn't working (not blown out). Well I went ahead with the replacement, climbed back into my seat and pressed the brake pedal when something magical happened. My gauge lights and transfer case lights came on as well as my all 4 front blinkers and my license plate light everytime I pressed down. Any ideas? And on a side note, is it normal for the brake pedal to get stiffer and stiffer everytime you push it with out the xj being on?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by unjustentropy
Well, my original brake light "blew out" one day so today I bout these led replacements

...come to find out there was nothing wring with the original bulb at all. The brake light just wasn't working (not blown out). Well I went ahead with the replacement, climbed back into my seat and pressed the brake pedal when something magical happened. My gauge lights and transfer case lights came on as well as my all 4 front blinkers and my license plate light everytime I pressed down. Any ideas? And on a side note, is it normal for the brake pedal to get stiffer and stiffer everytime you push it with out the xj being on?
Sounds like a wiring issue. Try it with the xj on. And yes, your brakes will get stiffer and stiffer, I'm not sure how it works I just know that it just does.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by JerrytheJeep

Sounds like a wiring issue. Try it with the xj on. And yes, your brakes will get stiffer and stiffer, I'm not sure how it works I just know that it just does.
When it's on (light switch) every thing works fine. Just when I don't turn on parking or driving lights this happens.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:06 PM
CF Veteran

You've confused me, turn on your jeep, try the brakes. Do any other lights come on? Did you have to re-wire anything to do your new lights? Double check your work, make sure its right. Also check your fuses.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:52 PM

You've confused me, turn on your jeep, try the brakes. Do any other lights come on? Did you have to re-wire anything to do your new lights? Double check your work, make sure its right. Also check your fuses.
When the jeep is on/off and I press the brakes the brake lights (not unusual) come on. The transfer case(?) lights and gauge lights come on, all four front blinkers and the license plate come on. When I release the brakes all the lights turn back off.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:54 PM

And no. I didn't do any wiring. It was just a pull and plug bulb replacement (standard bulb to led).
Old 11-28-2012, 12:27 AM
CF Veteran

Hrrrrm I'm betting there's a short somewhere or other problem. Follow the brake switch up and under as far as you can, look for any bare wire or corrosion. That's about as far as my electrical expertise can take you man best of luck to ya.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:50 AM

Hrrrrm I'm betting there's a short somewhere or other problem. Follow the brake switch up and under as far as you can, look for any bare wire or corrosion. That's about as far as my electrical expertise can take you man best of luck to ya.
I'll try that, thanks!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:43 PM

Couldn't find anything. But, NEW problem. When j have the light switch on the brake lights are always on until I turn off the light switch
Old 12-01-2012, 11:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You have a bad ground.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:18 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0, Nothing better

I do not know your exact problem but will inform you of an issue the army has on M1097 blinker systems when upgrading to led.
When the incandesent lights go out we sometimes have to replace with the new LED style blinkers. When we do this we have issues with such a low draw the blinkers just stay on and will not blink. This also has a reverse effect on the lighting system and will dimly light other lights.
From what we have found it is caused by a backflow of electricity thru the system. When we put another diode in line with the system the problem stops.
Not sure if this might give you any ideas to test the system but knowledge is power. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by mechanic6339
I do not know your exact problem but will inform you of an issue the army has on M1097 blinker systems when upgrading to led.
When the incandesent lights go out we sometimes have to replace with the new LED style blinkers. When we do this we have issues with such a low draw the blinkers just stay on and will not blink. This also has a reverse effect on the lighting system and will dimly light other lights.
From what we have found it is caused by a backflow of electricity thru the system. When we put another diode in line with the system the problem stops.
Not sure if this might give you any ideas to test the system but knowledge is power. Good luck.
I'll have to check it out, thanks!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:49 AM

I have the same exact problem now..
When lights are ON (Jeep on OR off) all 3 brake lights are ON at all times. When I press the brake, they get MARGINALLY brighter. When I turn OFF the lights, everything LOOKS legit.. until I have to hit the brakes. When I do, ALL parking lights come on (including dash, front side markers, etc.)
I dont know if this is more likely a bad ground, or a short in the wiring somewhere, causing a connection between the parking light circuit and the stop lamp circuit. Someone told me to look into the wiring going from the rear hatch to the body. I ahvent been able to do anything yet, this just started happening yesterday and I am busy beyond belief so I dont really have the time to do random diags.
If anyone knows where I should look, PLEASE point me in the right direction!?