Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nutsert pissin me off jcr tcase skid

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default nutsert pissin me off jcr tcase skid

So confused right now. How the hell am i supposed to insert the nutsert?!! All i have is this as a "tool"

nutsert pissin me off jcr tcase skid-forumrunner_20131206_182340.jpg

And the middle nut isn't even contacting with the bolt. Its just loose. How am i supposed to insert the nut in with this?
Old 12-06-2013, 06:35 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Just put a wrench on the nut and use a socket wrench on the end if the bolt and tighten. The nut is olny to put pressure on the nutsert, so when u tighten the nutsert will mushroom up. You should have a gear looking lock nut in between the nutsert and the washer so the nutsert won't spin on install
Old 12-06-2013, 06:42 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah, the tool didnt come with a star washer. And in supposed to push insert all the way with hammer?
Old 12-06-2013, 06:49 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

The engineer that came up with this style of fastener needs to be shot...absolutely hated these when I installed my sliders. Then I found out there is a tool that's supposed to make install easier, too late, though...can be had on ebay or amazon for around $40...or do what this guy did
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/cre...ze-202021.html
Old 12-06-2013, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by 1998xjspt
Yeah, the tool didnt come with a star washer. And in supposed to push insert all the way with hammer?
I had to tap mine in with a hammer
Old 12-06-2013, 07:40 PM
CF Veteran

All the way in with the hammer right?
Old 12-06-2013, 07:53 PM

Yes
Old 12-07-2013, 08:56 AM
CF Veteran

Which means i want have to use the "tool" at all..my "tool" would be a hammer...? Sorry for all the questions, in just super worried/paranoid/careful when messing with my uniframe
Old 12-07-2013, 09:29 AM

No, the hole it inserts into is drilled slightly smaller than the nutsert, to help it stay snug when using the "tool" to set the nutsert....so, tap the nutsert in with the hammer, then use wrenches to tighten the "tool" portion, while the nutsert is in the hole. The outside of that nutsert is a crush sleeve, the portion of the sleeve with the lines will billow out when pressure is applied keeping it in the hole. It may help to have an extra set of hands when you do it.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:57 AM
CF Veteran

Does it matter that the nut in between the two flat washer (yes, flat washer. Supposingly its supposed to be a star washer but jrc put 2 flat smooth washers) is bigger than the threaded bolt so that it moves freely? In basically in a way over tightening the bolt in the insert
Old 12-07-2013, 10:11 AM

The nut that's bigger is meant to be that way, so the threaded bolt spins freely, use one wrench to hold the big nut and another to tighten the threaded bolt into the nutsert, all while holding the oversized nut still with the other wrench. You need to keep the nutsert as straight as possible, without spinning in the hole, while you tighten the bolt, this will crush the sleeve against the hole. If the nutsert moves or spins, you can wallow out the hole, and good luck getting the nutsert set if that happens...have someone hold the wrench on the big nut straight while you tighten the threaded bolt, which will crush the sleeve into the hole. Don't go nuts when tightening, just enough to crush the sleeve in place, to hold it and keep it from spinning on final install. It may help to go grab some star washers that you can put between the nutsert and bottom washer to help keep it from spinning, at your local H/W store.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by roninofako
The engineer that came up with this style of fastener needs to be shot...absolutely hated these when I installed my sliders. Then I found out there is a tool that's supposed to make install easier, too late, though...can be had on ebay or amazon for around $40...or do what this guy did
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/cre...ze-202021.html
Its a airplane helicopter thing. They are call blind hole nuts or rivnut, its actually a smart idea. I've used them on making new mounts on my license plate area when they are striped out and no longer good anymore. My neighbor is the one that showed them to me and of his was a helicopter mechanic in the airforce and worked for eclipse aviation building planes so he has a few tools laying around.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:30 AM

Yeah, I was in aerospace for 25+ years, and never used these things, I was on the space side and not the aero side, LOL...and as far as being a good idea, I agree, but if you don't have the proper tools, it makes it difficult...an engineer I worked with clued me in on the tool post install. I made a quick little diagram in paint to try to help...
nutsert pissin me off jcr tcase skid-nutsert-install-help.jpg

so this shows the nutsert installed into the metal where you want it, followed by the washer, oversized nut, washer and bolt. Hope this helps...
Old 12-07-2013, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by roninofako
The nut that's bigger is meant to be that way, so the threaded bolt spins freely, use one wrench to hold the big nut and another to tighten the threaded bolt into the nutsert, all while holding the oversized nut still with the other wrench. You need to keep the nutsert as straight as possible, without spinning in the hole, while you tighten the bolt, this will crush the sleeve against the hole. If the nutsert moves or spins, you can wallow out the hole, and good luck getting the nutsert set if that happens...have someone hold the wrench on the big nut straight while you tighten the threaded bolt, which will crush the sleeve into the hole. Don't go nuts when tightening, just enough to crush the sleeve in place, to hold it and keep it from spinning on final install. It may help to go grab some star washers that you can put between the nutsert and bottom washer to help keep it from spinning, at your local H/W store.
Okay thankyou for explaining to me, currently waiting on 17/32 bit to be ready for pickup at home depot.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:36 AM

No worries, take one of your bolts with you and pick up a few star washers while you're there, and try it, it may help....

Quick Reply: nutsert pissin me off jcr tcase skid