NOTICE: Catalytic Converter Talk. - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Modified XJ Cherokee Tech
NOTICE: Catalytic Converter Talk. >

NOTICE: Catalytic Converter Talk.

Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.

NOTICE: Catalytic Converter Talk.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:27 PM
CF Admin

Year: 1987
Engine: 2.9L Stroker
Default NOTICE: Catalytic Converter Talk.

As of today, it will nolonger be against the rules to talk about removal or replacement of your catalytic converters. But on that note, please see the new change to the rules out of respect for your fellow members.

Thank you

Last edited by Outlaw Star; 05-25-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:50 PM
TIME TO GET SCHWIFTY

Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.6 stroker

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/announcement.php?a=11

Link to the amended rules. Please note that CF staff have the final say on posts here, so keep it civil, and under control, please, whatever your views are.

I am also going to sticky this for the time being to keep it on top.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:30 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by TRCM View Post
OK, I thought since the post was made, the edit was already made too till I read it.

I get what you are saying about non-inspection states, but removing a catalytic converter, even in those states, is still illegal if street driven, as it's a federal law.
That is correct, however, consider this change is not just about catalytic converters. The US EPA wording is "emissions controls", which includes CCV and EGR on these vehicles.

There are a lot of cases where it is desirable to modify that. Simply replacing a broken Renix exhaust manifold and capping off the EGR may be illegal in certain situations. So is running an aftermarket air cleaner and using a little breather filter on the forward CCV. You deleted that little tube, therefore you have broken the law. I own an offroad-only Jeep and am modifying it so it can't start a grass fire. I do not live in the United States. Plenty of legitimate reasons that people would want to "tamper" with the factory configuration.

This is why, like all mods, they should be done at the discretion of the owner. If you want to be the next XJ-R and build a beast for the track, we aren't going to rain on your parade. If you want to build a tractor, I wanna see pics! If you live in an emissions testing area you're going to continue life as is. Or, if you want to break the law, then post it up and there will be a public record. What you do is up to you!
Old 05-24-2017, 06:24 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Model: Grand Cherokee

and Salad drops the mike
Old 05-25-2017, 08:00 AM
CF Admin

Year: 1987
Engine: 2.9L Stroker

Again, this change doesn't mean "run amuck/rampant" on the Forum. Posts will still be dealt with on a case by case basis. If the staff feels that anything is out of line, inappropriate or excessive, they have full authority to edit or remove said posts.

Bump.