Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No high beams after harness upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No high beams after harness upgrade

I recently installed the Putco wiring harness relay and after installing it my high beams dont work. When I hold the stalk or turn them on, my headlights just turn off. Once I turn the high beams off or release the stalk my headlights come back on.

I know it's not the headlights because for the first couple weeks I still had the sealed beams until my Rampage H4's arrived and the same thing happens with them. The harness is definitely doing it's job, but does anyone know why this is happening?

I don't think I installed it wrong, its really just plug n' play. It isnt that big of a deal since I never use them but it would be nice to have working just in case.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Hmm several possibilities here. First check your headlamp fuses. All of them. The one that activates the relay may be blown. Second swap the relays. It may be just a bad relay. double check all connections, might be a loose connection. After this you will have to do some troubleshooting. It would help if you had a test light or better yet a multi meter. But check the easy stuff first.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:31 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by kspaeth
I recently installed the Putco wiring harness relay and after installing it my high beams dont work. When I hold the stalk or turn them on, my headlights just turn off. Once I turn the high beams off or release the stalk my headlights come back on. I know it's not the headlights because for the first couple weeks I still had the sealed beams until my Rampage H4's arrived and the same thing happens with them. The harness is definitely doing it's job, but does anyone know why this is happening? I don't think I installed it wrong, its really just plug n' play. It isnt that big of a deal since I never use them but it would be nice to have working just in case.
If you have factory fog lights there's an extra step you have to take. I have not done this upgrade yet but read a couple threads on it. You have to run the fogs to a pin on the relay I believe.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

What year is your XJ?

If it is 97+, try removing the DRL relay in the engine-bay fuse box. I had to remove mine for some reason, as my Bi-Xenon projector high-beam relay would stay ON all the time because the line actually has a very low voltage even when not activated.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:58 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
What year is your XJ?

If it is 97+, try removing the DRL relay in the engine-bay fuse box. I had to remove mine for some reason, as my Bi-Xenon projector high-beam relay would stay ON all the time because the line actually has a very low voltage even when not activated.
X2 on this I had to do the same in order for them to work properly!