Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Fuel Pressure After Fuel Cell Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 10:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L I6
Default No Fuel Pressure After Fuel Cell Install

Please read the whole thing, I AM getting fuel through all the lines, I HAVE primed the pump, but hoping someone smart can help me here. I just installed my fuel cell, almost got everything working well. I am using an inline fuel pump (E2000, 90 PSI max, averages about 40 psi), and i have good fuel pressure in the lines, but no pressure in the fuel rail (at the shrader valve). Everything seems fine but the pressure builds at the regulator and doesnt let a drop through to the point that the disconnect starts leaking. I know there is a minimum pressure required to open the regulator but could there be something else keeping it from opening up? I havent verified the psi in the lines themselves, but it seems to be a lot because it bogs down the pump after running for a minute and causes the old disconnect to leak (could be bad seals). Also, the Jeep is an '87 (with a 4.0) and i'm sure the regulator is the original, I took it off to see if it was clogged, but it looks fine...any ideas??
Old 06-09-2014, 06:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0

Isn't the fuel pressure regulator supposed to be on the return side of the fuel lines? I know that's how it is on my Celica, can't remember about the jeep though. Just a thought any way.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by krazynezz
Isn't the fuel pressure regulator supposed to be on the return side of the fuel lines? I know that's how it is on my Celica, can't remember about the jeep though. Just a thought any way.
Good thought! However, I don't think its on the return on these things, but I could be wrong.. I have honestly never done much on a fuel system. When i was taking off the old lines i thought I traced the return line from the back of the rail straight to the tank, nothing inbetween, but who knows, i am kinda special. I always thought the fuel entered the rail through the regulator.

Anyway, problem still exists, no flow into the rail, blah blah. Any more ideas?
Old 06-12-2014, 06:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Yeah, in the xj it is at the front. Got a peak at mine yesterday. Regulators normally don't go bad, so I would try a New one or a junk yard one to eliminate yours as the problem.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994

The regulator Is on the return line. Fuel goes straight to the rail and the regulator allows some fuel to return back to the tank.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.8

Fuel in to direct port (Larger), then pressurizes the rail/system. Then when your factory reg psi is met, it bleeds off out the reg port (smaller) back to tank.

IF you have a cell, and you want more control. Add in a ext reg (like a BG or Holley, etc) after the factory reg, and set it to a higher pressure, and you can richen up the A/F some.

This is what I did. but I run a different rail I think than you do.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by RWKHausSupply
Fuel in to direct port (Larger), then pressurizes the rail/system. Then when your factory reg psi is met, it bleeds off out the reg port (smaller) back to tank.

IF you have a cell, and you want more control. Add in a ext reg (like a BG or Holley, etc) after the factory reg, and set it to a higher pressure, and you can richen up the A/F some.

This is what I did. but I run a different rail I think than you do.
That's badass, thanks for the info, I'll look into that!
Old 06-12-2014, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by 94xj5spd
The regulator Is on the return line. Fuel goes straight to the rail and the regulator allows some fuel to return back to the tank.
Now I feel like a complete *******. All this time I just had it backwards. Thank you!