Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Snorkel Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Newbie Snorkel Questions

I just got my first jeep a few weeks ago on a trade, a 98 2 door xj, so i'm new to the jeep scene. Idk if this answer is already posted somewhere else but i couldn't find it with a search so here goes it. My xj came with a safari snorkel on it, but the flex hose inside the fender was torn and missing a section. In an effort to get that squared away i pulled it all apart today so I could match up the hose for a replacement. I figured while i'm at it i may as well pull the whole air box out to make sure there are no cracks or holes for water to get sucked in, and low and behold the airbox is trashed. Sure, I could grab an airbox from the junk yard and throw it in but the way the pipe for the snorkel hose is attached to the box looks pretty sketchy too and like it would be a ***** to get a good seal on. So anyways, my question is would there be any disadvantage to deleting the airbox completely and running the hose directly from the snorkel to the throttle body. Obviously I would lose the air filter doing this but i have an extra k&n cone filter w/ a weatherproof cover that fits perfect on the top of the snorkel. Sorry if that was a little long winded for such a simple question but any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L Stroker

I recently did a cowl induction intake (snorkel of sorts) and I deleted the airbox. For the filter I used this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005N6WXYM/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cheap, and high air volume flow. All you would need is some new hosing to connect from the throttle body to the filter housing, and from the housing to the snorkel again. That's what I would do if i were you. Also, would open up the option to put a second battery in the old air box location, or what I did, put an ammo can there for tools and parts.
​​​