Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbe first jeep rearend question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default newbe first jeep rearend question

Hello. So I bought my first jeep yesterday. Actually I owned a jeep patriot but this is my first real jeep. It is a 1999 Cherokee sport 2wd with 4.0 engine. It has 213k miles on it. It feels solid. Besides needing new shocks and struts its fantastic. Of course I am looking for more power. I come from the mustang crowd and did tb, headers, computer chip and so on. From what I read these mods do not do much for the Jeep. I heard the best thing to do is to change the rear end gears. I am using it as my daily driver and since its 2wd obviously I am not using it offroad. If I change the rear gears what ratio should I go with? Im quessing I would also have to change the spedo gear as well. I know nothing about jeeps but am learning and loving my Cherokee. I am running the stock wheels and tires. What upgrades should I do? Im looking for fast acceleration while maintaining somewhat good gas mileage.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Real jeep and 2wd?? You sure? lol

Most people regear to make up for running larger tires. If you regear you'll be running at a higher rpm for a given speed. Check out this site for different ratios: http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
Old 02-19-2014, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Stock size tires you should proly stick with stock gears 3.55s for an auto. You may fell more power with 3.73s but anything over that on stock size tires your MPG is gonna take the hit.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Your best bet is to leave it alone and remember this is NOT a MUDSTAIN! If you want to compete on that lever swap in a BBC a 572" would give it that kind get up and go or even a SBC lol.

These are great little Jeeps and I saw and older 2wd Cherokee ?? yesterday at the barber shop I would have loved to own. I don't know what year it was but the green color with a wood grain type of trim down both sides (not wide) it was perfect. I do believe it was original paint down to the interior had to have kept inside the dash looked great also.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:31 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by tmac
Real jeep and 2wd?? You sure? lol

l
Hey now...In my book he gets bonus points for calling the XJ a real Jeep, LOL...welcome to the sickness