Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Xj owner. Trying to plan my build before I start. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Talking New Xj owner. Trying to plan my build before I start. Any advice?

Hey guys, Blake from San Diego here. After a couple bad decisions that resulted in 2 DUI's and 2 totaled cars, I finally have a car again! I am not (legally) allowed to drive it yet, so I figure now's a better time than ever to start stocking up on parts. I don't like buying things more than once, so I'm doing my research to make sure I'm buying the correct parts in the correct order. However, I am by no means an automotive expert, so any tips, tricks, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

A few weeks ago I bought a 1999 Cherokee Classic 4x4 with 125,XXX miles. As far as I know, it is completely stock other than a 2 inch lift (I'm assuming with a new coil/AAL). This will be my DD for a while but I want to do a significant amount of work to it. Here is a list of some modifications I plan on doing to it and some questions that I have.

Skidplates - Other than expensive aftermarket ones, what will fit?
Headlights - I just purchased some of the retrofit projectors from a member on here with the bulbs, ballasts, and wiring harness needed to install. Since most people recommend upgrading the factory harness, is this necessary with HIDs? I was told that because HID's pull far less power than halogen bulbs that the factory harness should have no problem. Is this true?
Engine mods - More power = more fun in my book. So I want to do everything I cant to make the most out of the stock engine for the least amount of cash. I read that putting a 2000+ intake manifold could yield up to 15hp... is this true? What about the Sceptre Cowl Intake? I also read this is a useful upgrade. Are there any others?
Others - Am I missing any necessary/cheap/easy upgrades that I can do for now?

This is only a short list of questions I have. I will have more questions/concerns as time goes on.

Thanks for all the help,
Blake

Last edited by LeadFootCaliKid; 08-10-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look around the forum a bit every question you asked has literally been covered hundreds of times because all the stuff you wanna do is so basic...

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/how-search-14306/

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/al...go-here-10579/
Old 08-10-2014, 05:08 PM

I have searched through tons of threads and have had a lot of my questions answered by doing so. There are thousands of pages to go through to find specific things though. Forgive me for trying to save some time.

I will move several of my questions to the Lift & Tire thread.

Last edited by LeadFootCaliKid; 08-10-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:24 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Best advice I got is quit drinking and driving, LOL...but as stated above, search and read. Literally hundreds of threads on each subject listed.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:49 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.Slow

Lesson learned I hope? But in all seriousness, it all depends on what you want to use your Xj for. As for the motor, dont expect any big gains from bolt-ons. If HP is what you want, get a sports car or do a motor swap. If reliability is your thing, the 4.0 is perfect.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:17 PM

Yes, lesson learned. No more drinking and driving for me. The last one scared it out of me.

I'm going to use my Jeep as my DD but want it to perform offroad with the best of them. Essentially, this is going to be something for me to have fun in. I want to keep it mild for now. But eventually will want to run long arms with 35's, bumpers, armor, lights, etc.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:20 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.Slow

Good to hear. Read up on the low COG thread for ways to clear 35s on a decent budget for starters. this will save you some money on massive lift for other upgrades like axles, gears, armor or engine.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:41 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by LeadFootCaliKid
Yes, lesson learned. No more drinking and driving for me. The last one scared it out of me.

I'm going to use my Jeep as my DD but want it to perform offroad with the best of them. Essentially, this is going to be something for me to have fun in. I want to keep it mild for now. But eventually will want to run long arms with 35's, bumpers, armor, lights, etc.
Good man. The best thing you can do is decide exactly what you want your jeep to do, and read, read, read...better to be educated than jumping in blindly. Go to the low cog thread as outlaw suggests. Tons of good info there.

Last edited by Rogue4x4; 08-10-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by LeadFootCaliKid
I have searched through tons of threads and have had a lot of my questions answered by doing so. There are thousands of pages to go through to find specific things though.
Go to Google, plunk in "site:cherokeeforum.com", and then type some stuff related what you're looking for. It's the only way to go.