Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New XJ I need advice on lifts

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New XJ I need advice on lifts

I know this has been beaten to death I am sure. I've been doing a ton of research and am getting farther confused. I want to do a 6-6.5 long arm kit. I keep hearing bad things of radius arms. However this is my family wheeler with nothing extreme. I think this will work just fine for me. I also only want to run 33's so that I can maintain my factory flares. Is that feasible? I really just want a capable rig that's not going to be a full on wheeler rig, it's gotta get the three of us home too. Really any input you guys can offer would be great and if you can tell me of your experiences. I'm not too worried I do not think with the unloading of the suspension in front since I don't really plan on going up steep enough ledges that could cause such a situation. Who knows though. I am new to the jeeps but not wheeling. However my last two rigs were a Chevy Colorado and then the HUMMER H3. Both were independent front so they were very limited in comparison to the jeep but still very capable. I know ill need a SYE but what else would you recommend? i know i should re-gear too. I'll have to do that later. Please help me in the right direction guys. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:49 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

If you plan to wheel the rig at all with the 33's, You will not be able to retain the factory flares without trimming them or moving them up. You will be fine on the street, but not if you plan to flex the suspension at all offroad.
I am on 5" and 33's and I can flex my front and rear well up into the fenderwell. If you are going to spend the money on a nice lift and tires, why limit yourself to not being able to wheel it?
Old 01-15-2013, 09:31 PM

I plan on flexing it surely. I would like to keep my flares at all possible. I'm not at all against cutting my flares or even putting on some Bushwhackers. How much trimming is involved? How's it look? I want to do things the right way first time around rather than learning from mistakes and having to spend more to fix it.