Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New lift kit blues.... Noises!!!

Old 11-27-2011, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New lift kit blues.... Noises!!!

I just installed my new Zone 3" full leaf suspension and I'm having multiple issues... I've made a short list below. I hate driving the jeep now cause it sounds like a 200 year old suspension I just installed.....

- driver side sway bar drop top bolt rubs against the oem track bar bracket. Makes a terrible metal squeaking noise.

- sounds like all of the nitro 9000 shocks squeak, moan and groan over all dips and bumps.

- rear leaf spring bushings make soooooo much noise. The slightest bump or dip and the rubber squeaking noise from the bushings is ungodly.... I've greased everything heavily with a good synthetic grease both before install and after and it hasn't made a bit of difference.

- oem shackle angle is basically 90*. The shackles are basically perpendicular to the ground.... Bolt on relocation brackets all I need? The angle is supposed to be ~45* facing the rear, no?

- non suspension related.... I'm getting this nasty chattering, grinding/whirling noise at idle. I have a 2000 xj auto. Comes from the front. Sounds like it may be a bad idler pulley or bearing... Any ideas?

Help! The jeep is embarassing to drive around.... Looks fantastic, but this one is not supposed to be the garage queen! And I know it's a jeep, but these noises are not normal jeep noises!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Matt
Old 11-27-2011, 06:05 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Litre Chrysler MPI, "High Output"

nvm
Old 11-27-2011, 06:36 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

you don't need the swaybar drop brackets at 3", remove them. And break out the torque wrench on the leafs. As for the shackle angle, the relocation box will do, but you'll be needing to add spacers up front to level it out once you do that.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:36 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 h.o. with 703's and a KN&N drop in filter

Can u please put a vid of the noise at idle so maybe we can help u with it
Old 11-27-2011, 09:15 AM
AOR
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Parhamm1
I just installed my new Zone 3" full leaf suspension and I'm having multiple issues... I've made a short list below. I hate driving the jeep now cause it sounds like a 200 year old suspension I just installed.....

- driver side sway bar drop top bolt rubs against the oem track bar bracket. Makes a terrible metal squeaking noise.

- sounds like all of the nitro 9000 shocks squeak, moan and groan over all dips and bumps.

- rear leaf spring bushings make soooooo much noise. The slightest bump or dip and the rubber squeaking noise from the bushings is ungodly.... I've greased everything heavily with a good synthetic grease both before install and after and it hasn't made a bit of difference.

- oem shackle angle is basically 90*. The shackles are basically perpendicular to the ground.... Bolt on relocation brackets all I need? The angle is supposed to be ~45* facing the rear, no?

- non suspension related.... I'm getting this nasty chattering, grinding/whirling noise at idle. I have a 2000 xj auto. Comes from the front. Sounds like it may be a bad idler pulley or bearing... Any ideas?

Help! The jeep is embarassing to drive around.... Looks fantastic, but this one is not supposed to be the garage queen! And I know it's a jeep, but these noises are not normal jeep noises!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Matt
Did you use silicone base for bushings or grease? Some times this makes the difference. Loosen the the bolts slightly (not to an unsafe point) and bounce it up and down and/or drive it up and down your street (slowly safe safely). Then re-tighten them up. Did you tighten up the suspension without weight on it?

Pics of the issues would help us out.

Make sure you use a good silicone base and don't forget to hit the sway bar bushings at the frame. I have forwarded your PM to the manufacture for their input on Monday morning. I will post results when received.

Allen

Last edited by AOR; 11-27-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:03 AM

All good help. I'll be reporting back today after some testing.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:14 AM

Alright... Updating my thread here. Fixed everything, but all the racket from the poly leaf spring bushings. I need to call zone and get some answers here. I've tried everything. I've had the xj on the road for over 700 miles now (post lift) and these rear bushings are driving me insane. I'm ready to switch them out for rubber..... Anyone know if oem rubber bushings will fit these zone leafs? Anyone have a good (cheap) source for oem rubber bushings?
Old 12-10-2011, 06:20 AM
AOR
Former Sponsor

Did you remove them and reinstall with silicone based lubricant(grease)? Did you lube the bolts with the same product? What did you torque them too?

What exactly does this mean?
I've tried everything. I've had the xj on the road for over 700 miles now (post lift) and these rear bushings are driving me insane.
Not to discount your experience, but you really haven't given any detail as to what you have done after the advise and exactly what you are experiencing. I want to help resolve this issue but I do not see how properly installed (as I assume you have done) and lubed poly bushings could be such an annoyance. Please clarify with detail, so that I may pass along to the Zone staff what you are experiencing.

Allen