Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Lift Comming Tomorrow !

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: HO 4.0L
Default New Lift Comming Tomorrow !

New RE SF 3.5 is comming tomorrow ! Kind of a noob on the whole install .. Any prep ideas or how too's ?
Old 09-06-2011, 08:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

Pb blast everything, you will need a buddy to help you with the install, and research research research. There was a thread started very similar to this just a couple days ago. Look around and you will find a lot of great info. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by KeatsUSMC
New RE SF 3.5 is comming tomorrow ! Kind of a noob on the whole install .. Any prep ideas or how too's ?
The biggest thing I can recommend is to keep your cool, and stay calm. If you get pissed off, you will be miserable the whole time. I promise you that this is going to be a very difficult process, and you will get frustrated (as I did, being a noob myself). I will also tell you that there is no greater feeling then walking out to my jeep everyday and saying to myself, "I did that", with a smile on my face. So take your time, have fun, and learn about your jeep.

Oh, and PB blast the #%^< out of every bolt.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks, o and your from York huh, How bout you come up to Wilkes-Barre And Help My ***.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0

Ok, im just wrapping up a RE SuperRide kit, well not a full kit, but coils/springs/track bar/TC drop and other components from RC, like control arms, shocks, brake line brackets, sway bar links.

i have about 24 hours wrapped up in mine. I did it by myself, it would have went so much better with help, im sure of that.

Advice and tools i can give and used.

PB blast everything, should have started days ago... but start now, tonight! lol. really you need to spray everything down. Try to keep your cool and try to learn from it. I didnt so much with my lift; a lot of blood, sweat, tears, cursing and beer went into mine.

Tools that i used.

Torch (Mapp gas), this helped alot, once i started using it... lol
angle grinder
Air tools, Impact, air hammer/chisel
several jack stands and a couple jacks
breaker bars

metric sockets, at least two 21mm sockets, a deepwell would be nice for one of them. and have an assortment of others, 10, 13, 15, 17, 18 were the main ones i used.

wrenches the same size

Also, dont know if you got the RE track bar, but you have to drill a 5/8 hole at the unibody to mount the new bolt, so you may need to buy a drill bit.

My main problem areas... Rear leaf spring bolts, those are a problem for alot of people and just expect them to be seized up and everything of that nature.

also the lower control arm bolts might be an issue as well, i had a problem with the lower rear bolts. I have had to order new bolts for the rear and for one of the control arms, hopefully you have a chrysler dealer near by, as they are best to get from the dealer. But they come at a hefty expense, about $8 for bolts and 5 for nuts.

im sure i left alot of stuff out, just be prepared for extra expenses that you havent already incurred.

again, patience and a helping hand will make all the difference. Though mine has been a complete PITA, I have learned so much about my jeep and the aspects of a lift and how the components work.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Seasoned Member

awsome ill prob put it on this weekend so i will get some pb and hit it up , i have all the tools so that should be no prob, Have any pics ?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:24 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks, o and your from York huh, How bout you come up to Wilkes-Barre And Help My ***.
Lol, I definitely would if I didn't have epic amounts of school work. If you have any questions though, feel free to send me a PM or just post on the forum.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

awsome ill prob put it on this weekend so i will get some pb and hit it up , i have all the tools so that should be no prob, Have any pics ?
I don't have many pics, but I think I described everything pretty well in my build thread. My kit however, was a 4.5 inch AAL, so obviously some differences.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Hey man... Marines, College,and job. Come on lol just bustin you
Old 09-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Get going to tractor supply what bolts will I need for the lift.. I plan on cutting alot off
Old 09-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0

Get going to tractor supply what bolts will I need for the lift.. I plan on cutting alot off
I dont know if you will find the ones you need, i bounced around the idea of getting grade 8 for the rear, but settled for the dealer to make sure it was right. I really didnt want to chance bolts breaking on the leaf springs, not a good thing to happen.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:06 PM
CF Veteran

I got all grade eight upper shock bolts, and one of the shackle bolts has grade eight.

KeatsUSMC- how many miles are on your jeep?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Nearly 140,000 Lift has just arraived !!!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: l6

Yeah. Pb blaster is a must have lol i only had a buddy help install the front springs and put my aal in the rest of mine went smooth exept one of my leaf bolts double threaded on the way out had to sawzall it out and re thread it. Not fun lol but Good luck.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: l6

Originally Posted by OOdynamite

The biggest thing I can recommend is to keep your cool, and stay calm. If you get pissed off, you will be miserable the whole time. I promise you that this is going to be a very difficult process, and you will get frustrated (as I did, being a noob myself). I will also tell you that there is no greater feeling then walking out to my jeep everyday and saying to myself, "I did that", with a smile on my face. So take your time, have fun, and learn about your jeep.

Oh, and PB blast the #%^< out of every bolt.
X2

Quick Reply: New Lift Comming Tomorrow !