Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new gear ratio help!!

Old 05-29-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: straight six
Default new gear ratio help!!

im new to all this and im going to be lifting my 88 cherokee pioneer and i want to do it right. i understand i need to regear to 410s or 411s to ru my 32s but i dont know all wat i need? i know i need the gears but wat else? also i was wondering if there was a sye u can install without using the hack and tap method?
need lots of help!!plz!!
Old 05-29-2012, 01:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

I'd be less concerned with gears for running 32's and more concerned with knowing about steering and driveline changes that go with lifting. There's lots of good info on here already. I'm sure this tread will generate some of its own answers, but for the mean time do some searchin!!

Edit- NO! You do not NEED to regear for the tires in mind. Also, your doing a small amount of gear ratio change for a (generally) high price..

Last edited by VTJeep; 05-29-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

You can do a slip yoke eliminator without using the HnT method.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:32 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by VTJeep
I'd be less concerned with gears for running 32's and more concerned with knowing about steering and driveline changes that go with lifting. There's lots of good info on here already. I'm sure this tread will generate some of its own answers, but for the mean time do some searchin!!

Edit- NO! You do not NEED to regear for the tires in mind. Also, your doing a small amount of gear ratio change for a (generally) high price..
x2. I personally wouldnt re-gear for 31-32" tires. The price to do so is more then its worth to only go to 4.10's. As far as the sye goes look at the advance adapters sye kit but keep in mind that with a sye you will need a different drive shaft. That being said, if you are dead set on re-gearing you will also need master install kits. I agree that you will need to be more concerned with The steering and drive line the re-gearing your axles.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:08 PM

well im pretty dead set on regearing and im not to concerned with the price since it will be my dd and it has been my family since 88. i just want to do it right since ive read when runnin stock gears on bigger tires u experience a loss of power and worse gas mileage. i havent really thought about steering much i was going to run a rc 4.5 la kit on some 255/75/17 with some moabs. i was sure ill need a new steering stabilizer but wat else? as for the gears i need a ring and pinion,master install kits, gears and carriers? as for the driveline i was goint to get a sye and a cv driveshaft but i saw the hack and tap and got scared lol. is that all i need as far as it goes for the driveline?
Old 05-29-2012, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by SeKtOr559
well im pretty dead set on regearing and im not to concerned with the price since it will be my dd and it has been my family since 88. i just want to do it right since ive read when runnin stock gears on bigger tires u experience a loss of power and worse gas mileage. i havent really thought about steering much i was going to run a rc 4.5 la kit on some 255/75/17 with some moabs. i was sure ill need a new steering stabilizer but wat else? as for the gears i need a ring and pinion,master install kits, gears and carriers? as for the driveline i was goint to get a sye and a cv driveshaft but i saw the hack and tap and got scared lol. is that all i need as far as it goes for the driveline?
fair enough. Well then you need to get ring and pinion for both axles, master install kits for both axles and carriers or lockers whichever you choose.

As for the lift. I was looking at rc's website and their 4.5" x series long arm kit, It looks like they include everything. One thing I would recommend would be to get the kit with new leaf packs and not the add a leaf. The things they dont include is a new steering stablizer, sye and rear driveshaft. A lot of people run hack n tap sye's but imo if you want to do it right get a true sye and new drive shaft. The other thing I would recommend if you plan on doing much offroading with it would be to get upgraded steering linkage.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by xjoz87
fair enough. Well then you need to get ring and pinion for both axles, master install kits for both axles and carriers or lockers whichever you choose.

As for the lift. I was looking at rc's website and their 4.5" x series long arm kit, It looks like they include everything. One thing I would recommend would be to get the kit with new leaf packs and not the add a leaf. The things they dont include is a new steering stablizer, sye and rear driveshaft. A lot of people run hack n tap sye's but imo if you want to do it right get a true sye and new drive shaft. The other thing I would recommend if you plan on doing much offroading with it would be to get upgraded steering linkage.
ahhh i c i wasnt aware that id have to do lockers at the same time i was plannin on gettin those later notw the price tag got a whole lot bigger lol well i was thinking extreme offroading since its my dd which brand sales the true sye? thanks for the help
Old 05-29-2012, 11:21 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

if you're not dead set on the sye you could try a t-case drop kit and see how that works for you, some people dont like to use em but I ran one for a year or so with a 4.5" lift and it worked fine. if you lift over 5" then the sye is a must. a sye is not too bad to install but you'll hate snap rings with a passion afterwards.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by ranger21
if you're not dead set on the sye you could try a t-case drop kit and see how that works for you, some people dont like to use em but I ran one for a year or so with a 4.5" lift and it worked fine. if you lift over 5" then the sye is a must. a sye is not too bad to install but you'll hate snap rings with a passion afterwards.
yea thats wat i was thinking but my dad convinced me to spend the extra money with his "do it right" speech lol
Old 05-29-2012, 11:39 PM

i was lookin on rustys and they had 373 and up carriers for under a bill i was wondering does that just match right up with my limited slip?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:26 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

i'd go with advanced adapters for the sye. and then you need a new rear driveshaft with a cv joint and slip yolk. find a local shop for the drive shaft if you can. i think getting the limited slip assembly already in its proper carrier would be the way to go.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by ranger21
i'd go with advanced adapters for the sye. and then you need a new rear driveshaft with a cv joint and slip yolk. find a local shop for the drive shaft if you can. i think getting the limited slip assembly already in its proper carrier would be the way to go.
Well I'd rather just go with the locker than. I was just wondering if that would work till I saved the few extra bills?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:05 AM

I know the locker is a bit more expensive but if your planning on getting a locker later you might want to do it right away cuz other wise you will be paying the gear install twice. I say that because if you just have them put the gears in with just a carrier now then get a locker later they will have to pull the gears apart when you get the locker and re-set everything up because the locker replaces the open carrier. So in the long run you end up saving some money to just go with the locker straight out of the gate.

I agree with going with advance adapters for the sye and have a driveshaft shop make you a new driveshaft for the rear after install.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:12 AM

Year: Different Years (I have several XJ's)

Not trying to thread jack but got any regearing suggestions for me? I am ringing a 91 HO with a 99 intake but mines not a daily driver or a wheeling jeep. I race my jeep. I'm looking for power gears. Lots of curves and top speed is 5o max on this track. I need take off power but at the danger time I don't need to lose much top end. Any thoughts?
Old 05-30-2012, 11:02 AM

I know the locker is a bit more expensive but if your planning on getting a locker later you might want to do it right away cuz other wise you will be paying the gear install twice. I say that because if you just have them put the gears in with just a carrier now then get a locker later they will have to pull the gears apart when you get the locker and re-set everything up because the locker replaces the open carrier. So in the long run you end up saving some money to just go with the locker straight out of the gate.

I agree with going with advance adapters for the sye and have a driveshaft shop make you a new driveshaft for the rear after install.
i cant just bolt on a new c driveshaft?
alright i just idnt wanna do the font right now guess il have to lol ox lockers and 410s here i come

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new gear ratio help!!