Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forum

Old 04-02-2011, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default New to forum

Hello all,

I'm new to the Jeep world. Got a 99 Cherokee Sport 4.0L, 6, 4x4 last Saturday and it has a serious case of death wobble. After going to a couple of shops for potential remedies to the problem, it was determined that the ball joints, upper and lower, on both sides were shot. It was also recommended to replace the track bar - would bushings only be okay? After seeing the cost for labor, I've decided to do the work myself, with expert help from good friend at my local auto hobby shop (I'm retired military, and an old fart - 65). Being a paper pusher all my life, I've not endured skinned knuckles, dirty finger nails, and other ailments that come from doing this type of work, but the cost of labor dictates. Hopefully after replacing the ball joints, track bar, adding a good set of tires and getting an alignment this will cure the situation. What, and I'm certain most of you will have varying comments/suggestions, should I expect to encounter after these repairs. I don't plan to do serious off-roading or rock climbing, rather having the ability to get to out-of-the way fly fishing spots, and gold prospecting areas and not worry about getting scratches and dings.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

When I first got my cherokee not quite a year ago, I changed the front sway bar and end link bushings. I would change those as well since you will be doing the ball joints and track bar. You may also want to check your shocks and the steering stabalizer shock as well. The work will not be too bad as long as you use the auto hobby shop on base. I have used them many times and still do seeing that I'm still on active duty. They are a good place to go and the guys that work there are usually pretty helpful as well.

Good Luck.

Wayne
Old 04-02-2011, 10:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

welcome to the forum!