Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Needing Advice for a Future XJ Setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default Needing Advice for a Future XJ Setup

I think I have the basic idea for what I want from my XJ in the future. I just need someone to tell me what they think, give advice, tricks, etc.

This is what I plan to do to my '91 XJ-

-4.7L stroker (I have no idea which cam I would need for the gears I am going to list, as well as driving conditions. I also don't know if I should have a ASE certified uncle help me build one or if it'd be cheaper to buy one, but I want realiability like the 4.0)

-Stick with the AW4 transmission

-Ford 8.8 rear-end with 3.73 gears

-Upgrade my front Dana 30 to 3.73 gears

-Install a QUALITY 2" lift kit

This would be a light-medium offroader that would still see the Highway. If ya'll have anything to suggest or tell me, PLEASE share, because I am kinda lost here lol. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it kind of depends on your budget.

IMO, I think it's a waste of money to do a stroker on the set up you are looking to do. The I-6 has plenty of power for running what you are looking to run. With 3.73's, I assume you're not going super large on the tires especially with only a 2 inch lift. If you do the stoker, def have your ASE certified uncle help. It would be stupid not to. It will definately be cheaper to do it yourselves since you have the qualified help. Good move on the 8.8 if you have the Dana 35 rear. If you have the 8.25 you're good to go up to 35's. You can always upgrade axles and carrier if you have the 27 spline 8.25 when you regear.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:36 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Lyon
Well, it kind of depends on your budget.

IMO, I think it's a waste of money to do a stroker on the set up you are looking to do. The I-6 has plenty of power for running what you are looking to run. With 3.73's, I assume you're not going super large on the tires especially with only a 2 inch lift. If you do the stoker, def have your ASE certified uncle help. It would be stupid not to. It will definately be cheaper to do it yourselves since you have the qualified help. Good move on the 8.8 if you have the Dana 35 rear. If you have the 8.25 you're good to go up to 35's. You can always upgrade axles and carrier if you have the 27 spline 8.25 when you regear.
Sadly, I have the turdy-five rear axle. As for the stroker, I want it for the extra power it offers on road, and torque it supplies off-road. Plus, Im tired of hearing my friend with an exploder brag about his 220 hp Ford 4.0 lol. I know, I know, waste of money. But if I can build a stronger engine based off the original motor, gain a decent amount of power, and still retain my decent mileage, then Im game.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:31 PM
CF Veteran

With a 2" lift, would I need a T-case drop and SYE?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:32 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
No, shouldn't get any vibs at that height.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:49 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

you shouldnt need it. i have a 2 inch lift and no problems. my buddy has a 6 inch with no problems. obviously he is gonna go with one though but no vibrations. but every jeep is different, some guys have to run a tc drop or a sye with small lifts. you dont need get both, either will do, a sye is better though. like by a zillion times
Old 06-06-2011, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by krawlthis

you shouldnt need it. i have a 2 inch lift and no problems. my buddy has a 6 inch with no problems. obviously he is gonna go with one though but no vibrations. but every jeep is different, some guys have to run a tc drop or a sye with small lifts. you dont need get both, either will do, a sye is better though. like by a zillion times
I kno some ppl that run both, I tcase drop won't always work when u do large lifts and thats were a sye comes in.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:23 PM

Sadly, I have the turdy-five rear axle. As for the stroker, I want it for the extra power it offers on road, and torque it supplies off-road. Plus, Im tired of hearing my friend with an exploder brag about his 220 hp Ford 4.0 lol. I know, I know, waste of money. But if I can build a stronger engine based off the original motor, gain a decent amount of power, and still retain my decent mileage, then Im game.

I feel your pain on the turdy5. i'm swapping my axle out tomorrow for the 8.25 because the D35 is crap. But you kinda shot yourself in the foot here. You want MORE power with the crap axle?

Who cares what your buddy has in his ford? It's not a Jeep for 1, and for 2 can he prove that is has that HP? Has it been on a dyno? And not for nothing, with the right set up of gears, you blow him out of the water on the trails. You should be able to out wheel him in a stock XJ. Unless you are talking about racing it, who cares how many HP it has? It's a jeep not a mustang. When your Jeep is done, ask him why he can't get over the terrain you can. Then lets see who's laughing.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:31 PM
CF Veteran

Well, most of this would be done at a later date, ESPECIALLY the stroker. My current 4.0 seems to have plenty of life left in her. I would probably do the axle swap and front gear change first. And when I did the axles would prob be when I did the lift, which would also be when I did an SYE if it's better. I guess I'll see if I have vibes lol.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:09 PM
CF Veteran

No need to swap in an 8.8 either.

If you want reliability swap in a bone stock 5.3l Vortec.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:32 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by FrankZ
No need to swap in an 8.8 either.

If you want reliability swap in a bone stock 5.3l Vortec.
That's what you did didn't you Frank? The only reason I may go against the Vortec route is money (Idk if it is really expensive or about the same as a stroker) and I would think that working on a Vortec would be a PITA with the tight clearances. Plus, parts for a 4.0 based engine are cheap, but in all fairness Idk if Vortec parts are cheaper too.

Also Frank, I think I remember reading a post of yours that said you ran strokers. Did you not have good luck with them?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:36 PM
CF Veteran

Horrendously bad luck would be an understatement.

There's adequate room to work on my Vortec. Most people that stick their noggins under the hood are surprised at how easy it is to get to sparkplugs.

My V8 swap cost less than my first stroker build.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by FrankZ
Horrendously bad luck would be an understatement.

There's adequate room to work on my Vortec. Most people that stick their noggins under the hood are surprised at how easy it is to get to sparkplugs.

My V8 swap cost less than my first stroker build.
And with those statements, I do believe my choice in engine has been changed. What tranny did you end up settling with? I need to go look on NAXJA for your big swap thread... I think it was on NAXJA. Thanks for the advice. The last thing I would want is to sink money into what I read could be a reliable engine only to have it dump on me.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987

On the note of vortecs you want mileage and power the 4.3 v-6 is a darn good vortec motor. Ran one in an ext cab long bed silverado for years with only a cam upgrade. It would eat mustangs for lunch. Im on the fence right now on stroker vs my beloved v-6
Old 06-06-2011, 11:42 PM
CF Veteran

Actually, I think I just found it...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1007477

Quick Reply: Needing Advice for a Future XJ Setup