Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some help 6.5"

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 01
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default need some help 6.5"

have a 4.5" im raising 2" with blocks and spacers, im doing a sye and drop pitman arm.adjusting track bar and control arms. will this work w/o getting new shocks again?
Old 05-08-2011, 08:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 2001 4.0L

it will work, but you will loose down travel. i would hold off til you can afford new shocks.

if you are dropping the pitman arm, you need to drop the track bar with it or you are going to have mad bump steer!

your drag link and track bar need to be as parrallel as pos. to avoid bump steer. (also should be close to the same lenghth)

why go bigger?.............and i would stay away from lift blocks. can you say axle wrap?
Old 05-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Agreed, if you drop your pitman arm you need to get a larger track bar drop. You want to keep those as parallel as possible. Otherwise you will get horrible steering characteristics.

You might want to hold off on the SYE kit and see how it rides. I have a NP242 with a Chrysler 8.25 running a Rough Country 6.5" Long Arm and i have minimal to no drive-line vibration. If this is the same case with you that could save you a good couple hundred dollars on the SYE kit and also the install if you were planning on paying to have it installed.

Also with the adjustable control arms, you might want to consider going long arm if you go to 6.5". I know many people stay short arm with 6.5" and see no problems but i think you will definitely like the ride and steering characteristics with the long arm when going that high.

Lastly be careful with the blocks, as mentioned above you are looking at the possibility of axle wrap. Maybe consider full 6.5" coil springs, and full leaf packs or shackles to bring you up to 6.5" in the rear.

Just my 10 cents

Will