Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In need of snorkel help

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default In need of snorkel help

Well i somehow became the owner of a cheap chinese snorkel that my buddy gave me. The only problem i have with it is i don't have the air box adaptor and the hose from the box to the snorkel. I was hoping someone knew where i could get those two things from, there's a number on the snorkel that reads "SJXJA". I was also hopin someone had advise for cuttin the hole, i've never done this before.

Thanks in advance,
Redwolf
Old 07-03-2016, 11:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

The parts you can piece together going cheap plastic or higher silicone tube like for a turbo.

Cutting the hole that kit came with a template that you taped to the fender and then cut the hole with a hole saw. It going to be some guess work on that.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:13 AM
CF Veteran

Or buy another cheapo one off ebay and use it for parts.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:54 AM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

It was cheaper and easier than i thought to install.
Attached Thumbnails In need of snorkel help-20160702_201320.jpg  
Old 07-04-2016, 07:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

i had to oblong the round hole in the fender so that the snorkel tube would fit and sit flat against the fender. at least that part doesn't have to be water tight. so get the general placement and cut so it fits.

as for the tube, you could use what fred suggested. mine came with a flex tube, kinda like a dryer hose.

as for the air box adapter, i'm sure you could use plumbing adapters and just use JB quick resin, to hold it and cover that with silicone to waterproof it.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:25 AM

yall got any pics of how yall have done it?

Redwolf
Old 07-04-2016, 11:29 AM
CF Veteran

I bet Outlaw Star does.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:36 AM
THE Admin

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I bet Outlaw Star does.
Lol. I may live in the swamp but have never owned or used a snorkel on my vehicles. I'm not dumb enough to blast head on into a deep crossing or pond. Also you shouldn't be in water over your hood anyways.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998

I bought a Chinese one from Amazon for $75 and did not like the airbox adapter that forced the hose to curve around and come from the bottom.

So I bought a show drain pvc from Home Depot and hollowed it out (removing the grate and opening it up a bit), I drilled a 3" hole then installed it from the inside out so the lip holds it (see below) - it fit very snug with the 3" hold made. you can see comes out of the side of the box -

I then blocked off the front of the box (original air inlet) with a small piece of sheetmetal, hot glue, and silicone.

And this was how the flex tube looked hooked up (note on my 2000 I had to move the PCM towards the firewall up about 1-2")

The PVC shower drain had a nice lip that after I pushed it in from the inside sealed up nice to the air box.

From there you can use a combination of PVC and some sort of 3" Silicone tubing to go to the snorkel.

Last edited by bryweb; 07-04-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by bryweb
I bought a Chinese one from Amazon for $75 and did not like the airbox adapter that forced the hose to curve around and come from the bottom.

So I bought a show drain pvc from Home Depot and hollowed it out (removing the grate and opening it up a bit), I drilled a 3" hole then installed it from the inside out so the lip holds it (see below) - it fit very snug with the 3" hold made. you can see comes out of the side of the box -

I then blocked off the front of the box (original air inlet) with a small piece of sheetmetal, hot glue, and silicone.

And this was how the flex tube looked hooked up (note on my 2000 I had to move the PCM towards the firewall up about 1-2")

The PVC shower drain had a nice lip that after I pushed it in from the inside sealed up nice to the air box.

From there you can use a combination of PVC and some sort of 3" Silicone tubing to go to the snorkel.

looks nice i like it. What did you use for the hose?

Redwolf
Old 07-04-2016, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Redwolf624
looks nice i like it. What did you use for the hose?

Redwolf
Its the hose that came with the Amazon snorkel ($75), it was suppose to curve down under unibody frame rail and back up to the front of airbox, I hated that routing and read where someone entered it into the side of the airbox using a Pool Fitting, I found the shower drain worked even better.

Here is the kit I started with; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-05-2016, 09:45 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Outlaw Star
Lol. I may live in the swamp but have never owned or used a snorkel on my vehicles. I'm not dumb enough to blast head on into a deep crossing or pond. Also you shouldn't be in water over your hood anyways.

You already posted it in the earlier one.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Outlaw Star
Some of us enjoy pushing our jeeps and challenging ourselves through deep mud and water, I have been hitting deep water for decades and have had minimal damages from it. Most can be avoided by proper preparation and afterward care.

Mud is bad for all your steering and driveline joints, rocks damage your body, heck even trail riding can take out a $200 tire. So unless you built your jeep for Mall Crawlin (even then you have to be careful of shopping damages).

Both my daughter and I have trail Cherokee's, as well as I have a garage full of spare parts, we are not afraid to push them.

To me.... this is my favorite kind of wheeling, but I grew up near Chicago and now live in North Florida, neither are known for having ANY rock climbing around.

Last edited by bryweb; 07-05-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:46 AM
THE Admin

Running into a deep water crossing full blast is not a "challenge", it's stupid. You can just as easily ease into the hole and then gradually throttle up. Yes, your air intake is now up in the air, but guess what, where's your ECU at?.. thats right, still underwater. You want a snorkel, that's fine, just saying you don't need one to ford water if you drive carefully.

Last edited by Outlaw Star; 07-05-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:00 PM

Your the only one that said "Full Blast" like suggesting if you are dumb enough to go through water you are dumb enough to hit it "Full Blast"

In all my years I have never blown a PCM from water or seen anyone else have, but it can be properly sealed if concerned.

Two biggest things I see damaged from water - Taking water into the intake and hydrolocking, and getting water in an Automatic transmission

Snorkle or Cowl intake resolves the water in the intake, and either adding or extending vent lines takes care of the transmission.

Usually if you check your axles fluid after an outing and catch water you can change the fluid before damage, and if yes you will get the occasional bad wire connection if you don't use a combination of Dielectrical Grease, Liquid tape, Silicone, and WD40

Also if you hit deep enough, you need to seal off your gas tank vent and cap good.

When I get home I always lay under my jeep with a power washer and get all the mud and sand out from under it, because that is what I see causes the most damage, Sand and Grit into all the joints and not cleaning it out and regularly greasing them all.

But I get it, I watch rock climbing videos and think "How can these guys just pound the crap out of their axles, steering, suspension, and bodies like that" and then say I avoid the water because it might damage my jeep... LOL

Quick Reply: In need of snorkel help