Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need ideas for front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 11:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Straight 6
Default Need ideas for front bumper

Im gonna be building a front bumper for my jeep and i need some ideas on how to make it and how i should mount it, any ideas would be greatly helpful Thanks.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all please dont ever write in giant blue block letters. its annoying to read. Now that I've cleaned up the blood pouring out of my eyes from reading that i'll answer.

You'll want a bracket that goes back to the steering box bolts atleast, i think it should be 1/4" thick but there are differing opinions on the subject so to get away from the possibility of a debate, it should be beefy.

Depending on the type of wheeling you may want a high clearence one, aka just take a 2x4x1/4" tubing and lay it flush up against the brackets trying to get as close to level with your grill as possible. this will give you maximum approach angle. You can angle the edges on it up so you get a little more clearence by your tires.

Some sort of grill protection is a good idea I find but its personal preference. Using DOM tubing for this is recommended and if possible, drill through the bumper and slip the tubing in and weld it around the hole aswell as inside the 2x4x1/4"

With a setup like the one described it'll take an IED to do damage to that bumper.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by OttawaXJ
First of all please dont ever write in giant blue block letters. its annoying to read. Now that I've cleaned up the blood pouring out of my eyes from reading that i'll answer.

You'll want a bracket that goes back to the steering box bolts atleast, i think it should be 1/4" thick but there are differing opinions on the subject so to get away from the possibility of a debate, it should be beefy.

Depending on the type of wheeling you may want a high clearence one, aka just take a 2x4x1/4" tubing and lay it flush up against the brackets trying to get as close to level with your grill as possible. this will give you maximum approach angle. You can angle the edges on it up so you get a little more clearence by your tires.

Some sort of grill protection is a good idea I find but its personal preference. Using DOM tubing for this is recommended and if possible, drill through the bumper and slip the tubing in and weld it around the hole aswell as inside the 2x4x1/4"

With a setup like the one described it'll take an IED to do damage to that bumper.
Okay Thanks for some ideas I think i might have to do the square tube and put it flush. thanks
Old 07-23-2011, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basically what I described was JCR Offroads front bumper system except with a stronger front hoop.

I've slipped off stuff and hit that hoop before and it just poped the weld and hit into my fascia. I was not pleased.

After that i drilled as I mentioned and welded it INSIDE the tubing and a similar thing happened and it did nothing. Thats the way I like my stuff built, like a brick ***** house.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah i want it to be sturdy and not weak.